Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento 6cyl AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm going to try to give as much info as briefly as possible

2011 Kia Sorento base model, 133K miles, regular oil changes, and basic maintenance.

Mid-November the radio began shutting off randomly while driving - sometimes turning back on and off several times, sometimes never

By mid-December it was becoming more and more frequent

December 24th (mild temps about 45 F) it was running fine. Ran into a store for about 30 minutes and came back out to nothing. Friendly shopper jumped it and .25 down the road it stalled out at a stop sign. Engin revved up a bit and then sputtered out and died. The car wouldn't do anything.

Called a tow truck and he jumped it and it started, drove it onto the bed and took it to a shop. Shop tried to feed me you're a woman let's replace all your things BS and I had them replace the alternator.

January 6th and the radio shut off again while driving. It has happened 2-3x more times since. I can't afford to do all of this again to the tune of $1000 every two weeks.

Do I try replacing the battery? Do I pay who knows how much to find a gremlin in the system and potentially still not solve the problem? Do I assume this is now a sinkhole for money and find a way to replace the whole car?

Suggestions? Experiences? Feedback?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,264 Posts
It would be best to find a local reputable Auto Electrical/Electronics shop.

It sounds like the tow truck most likely took it to a regular service shop, who typically don't have an in depth electrical know how.

Reactions: TLynn

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento 6cyl AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be best to find a local reputable Auto Electrical/Electronics shop.

It sounds like the tow truck most likely took it to a regular service shop, who typically don't have an in depth electrical know how.
They did out of my own desperation. The spot k stalled in blocked 3/4 of a fast food drive thru. I’ll have to search for some local places who might have more input to offer. Thank you!

·
Registered
94 Ranger,2002 F250, 2011 Victory Crosscountry, 2012 Kia Sorento SX
19 Posts
2012 doing odd things as well. Did you have any codes that you know of? Mine will log P0562 and P2502. The battery was replaced last year as was the alternator I replaced the ground cable due to it having the battery sensor in it and replaced the alternator a second time. It was show a little low on output at idle. Thought that took care of it. Week later when it was 23F outside I started it for the my wife to let it warm up for her and the kids and defrost the windows and it was back to all the lights were on, no throttle response cut it off. Battery dead. swapped everything over to my old truck so she could get the kids to school. Used a battery charger/booster. got the kia started and it has ran fine rest of the week. We no longer idle it without being in the car.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
276 Posts
They did out of my own desperation. The spot k stalled in blocked 3/4 of a fast food drive thru. I’ll have to search for some local places who might have more input to offer. Thank you!
You should have your battery tested and the alternator tested to make sure these items are working correctly. You may also have bad connections in the wiring and/or cables that may need to be tested for voltage drops. Bad ground cables seem to be a bigger problem on newer cars as most people overlook them as being a problem. Do not just start putting parts on the car as that will make it a money pit, unless you are lucky and happen to hit the problem with your first guess. The issue needs troubleshooting and testing to find the cause but most people do not want to spend money on testing. It is no different then going to a doctor really.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts