Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V-6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've researched and could not find a fix for the dome light issue for the 2011+ Sorento. I decided to figure it out on my own. The 2011+ Sorento wiring is different from the earlier models. In the earlier models, their was a diode that you could replace behind the driver side kick panel if your dome light would not come on when the doors opened. The 2011+ is totally different. The diode is actually located in the dome light assembly. I've added pictures to show it's location. You can also notice the diode symbol if you know anything about electrical circuits. I hot wired my dome light by by passing the diode and that completely fixed my dome light issue. You can find a replacement diode at radio shack. No need to go to the dealer. The diode is soldered in so you will need a soldering iron. The replacement you need at radio looks just like the one from the factory. The size you need is in4004. Make sure you solder it back in so that the current can flow in the correct direction. Once you do that, you are finished. Also, you can't see the diode from the bottom, you have to take the dome assembly out to find it on the top.

I circles where the diode was. I took it out and put in a wire until I get to Radio Shack.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
Good job!!!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V-6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What was the problem in the first place?
When I select the dome light to come on when the door is opened, it would not work. It also would not work when I used to remote to unlock the doors. It only worked when I pushed the dome light on button. This was a common problem in the 03-10 Sorento.

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
Why not just replace the Diode?
I'm just guessing they might have used it to partition 2 circuit feeds, for a valid reason, -no?

·
Registered
2015 Sedona EX - Premium Package
737 Posts
When I select the dome light to come on when the door is opened, it would not work. It also would not work when I used to remote to unlock the doors. It only worked when I pushed the dome light on button. This was a common problem in the 03-10 Sorento.
Some of our fellows would love their dome light off when the doors are open... Well they might got a solution.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts