Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2011 Sorento started a check engine light, and a flickering low oil pressure light after driving in traffic on hot days. The dealer says it is due to a bad oil control valve under the camshaft cover that controls variable valve timing.

The dealer also tells me the part is $300 and it is $300 labor to replace it. Our Sorento has 63k miles on it, and has had synthetic oil in it since I bought it at 11K miles.

Would this repair be covered under warranty?

Is it right that the low oil pressure is linked to this valve failing?

If it isn't under warranty, does anyone know where I can get this part for less than $300?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
If you were at a Kia dealership and they quoted you a price, than it's not covered under your warranty, it ended at 60,000 miles. You bought it used, you don't get the powertrain warranty with a used Kia. If you have the 2.4 engine, the part s only $110.00 list price, they are ripping you off, big time!!! I'll sell you that valve for $88.00, plus shipping.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
First, did you buy it new? If so, regardless of what the dealer is saying get with the KIA Factory Customer Rep immediately because problem probably started before end of warranty and only showed its head shortly after it. If you bought it used from a KIA dealership, then again I would still try the KIA Rep since dealer sold you a compromised vehicle. Squeeking wheel gets the grease!! KIA still wants happy customers inspite of what some dealers try to pull off.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately at my dealer, I cannot trust that they are being honest. These people tried to charge me $600 for a 30K service telling me that cleaning the injectors was required by Kia. I can read my manual, it is not even for extreme conditions.

I have the V6 Engine, 3.5L. How much is the valve?

If you were at a Kia dealership and they quoted you a price, than it's not covered under your warranty, it ended at 60,000 miles. You bought it used, you don't get the powertrain warranty with a used Kia. If you have the 2.4 engine, the part s only $110.00 list price, they are ripping you off, big time!!! I'll sell you that valve for $88.00, plus shipping.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. I bought it through a dealer who is a friend of mine. It was a KIA factory sale out of the Denver auto auction. I can't complain as it was around 6K less than what the KIA dealer wanted.

How do i get hold of the KIA factory rep? I can always try. I am not impressed with vehicles that fail a few miles after the warranty expires.

First, did you buy it new? If so, regardless of what the dealer is saying get with the KIA Factory Customer Rep immediately because problem probably started before end of warranty and only showed its head shortly after it. If you bought it used from a KIA dealership, then again I would still try the KIA Rep since dealer sold you a compromised vehicle. Squeeking wheel gets the grease!! KIA still wants happy customers inspite of what some dealers try to pull off.

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
Your "vehicle" did not fail, a small part did. Things happen.
There is a right hand and left hand oil control valve. They are the same price $199.00. each I'll sell them to you for $169.00.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8, Saab 9-5, 2012 Sorento SX
44 Posts
Just a minor qualification for other readers. If you purchase a "certified" used KIA through a KIA dealer, you get the balance of the 5yr/60K warranty and the 10yr/100K power train warranty. It's a feature worth considering if you're purchasing a used car.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. You are right of course, the whole car did not fail.

Obviously I'd prefer to buy the correct part from you than from the dealer. How do we work this out? Can you provide your email address or contact info?

For mine and others benefit, how about clarifying in the forum how you tell which part has gone bad (right or left)? Can that be read from the dealer's sensor check? Also, is this something that is fairly easy to replace. I have a talented local mechanic who is trustworthy and cheap.

Can you answer one of my original questions? I asked whether this valve going bad might be related to the flickering low oil pressure light at stops in traffic on hot days? The dealer thought so. I'd like a second opinion.

Your "vehicle" did not fail, a small part did. Things happen.
There is a right hand and left hand oil control valve. They are the same price $199.00. each I'll sell them to you for $169.00.

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
Just a minor qualification for other readers. If you purchase a "certified" used KIA through a KIA dealer, you get the balance of the 5yr/60K warranty and the 10yr/100K power train warranty. It's a feature worth considering if you're purchasing a used car.
You are correct, but a LOT of Kia dealership's don't use this plan. Wish they would!

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
Thanks. You are right of course, the whole car did not fail.

Obviously I'd prefer to buy the correct part from you than from the dealer. How do we work this out? Can you provide your email address or contact info?

For mine and others benefit, how about clarifying in the forum how you tell which part has gone bad (right or left)? Can that be read from the dealer's sensor check? Also, is this something that is fairly easy to replace. I have a talented local mechanic who is trustworthy and cheap.

Can you answer one of my original questions? I asked whether this valve going bad might be related to the flickering low oil pressure light at stops in traffic on hot days? The dealer thought so. I'd like a second opinion.
Yes it could cause the ops light to flicker. A good tech can change it no problem. I need to know if you need the left or right side.Did the dealership give you a quote? Any part #'s on the quote? I can give you my e/mail, or you can call me if you like, or Paypal. What ever is easier for you.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, here is everything from my invoice. Sorry, I probably should have started with this:

"Found DTC P0024 for exhaust oil control valve bank 2 malfunction caused by faulty valve.

Quote: Part $290, Labor $345"

Does that answer the question? I paid $90 for this diagnosis so if it doesn't I don't have any problem going back to the dealer to get him to tell me what I need.

If it does, please PM me your contact info, phone & email. I will contact you to make arrangements to pay.

Yes it could cause the ops light to flicker. A good tech can change it no problem. I need to know if you need the left or right side.Did the dealership give you a quote? Any part #'s on the quote? I can give you my e/mail, or you can call me if you like, or Paypal. What ever is easier for you.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento I4 FWD 6Spd, 2005 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6Spd
118 Posts
How did they determine you need a new control valve from code P0024?

Before you replace the part, suggest changing you oil, using Mobil 1 synthetic and an OEM oil filter. Low oil, dirty oil, and/or a dirty oil filter might be the source of your valve problem. Mobil 1 might clean things up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts