Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My Wife said her 02 Sedona at 161k mile is enough. She wants a Sorento.

We found a used 2011 one that has it all, including AWD. I am not an expert on AWD, so I am concerned that this would be an extra option that could be a nightmare in maintenance and loss of mpg performance.

Any comments would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
kdc

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
In all honesty, the AWD system is so smooth you don't even know it's there. Keep in mind, the system is in FWD mode 100% of the time...that is until it senses slippage. It will kick in so smoothly that you will hardly feel it.

You don't need to be worried about the AWD system failing. Just keep up with the fluid changes and your tires pressures/rotations and the system should last the life of the vehicle. MPG isn't impacted too bad. Since the system isn't always activated, the MPG impact isnt terrible. Yes, there is more drag with the system regardless, i wouldn't not buy the Sorento just because of the AWD. It's a nice thing to have just incase you need it.

My V6 AWD blew my mind this winter. With a good set of winter tires it literally would plow through anything. I was skeptical because I was coming from a older Pathfinder with a true 4WD sytem (Hi, Lo etc) but I can honestly say this system is better than the pathfinders.

I say go for it. Is the 2011 you're looking at the 4cyl or V6? That's what you should worry about.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
Hello,

We found a used 2011 one that has it all, including AWD. I am not an expert on AWD, so I am concerned that this would be an extra option that could be a nightmare in maintenance and loss of mpg performance.

Thanks
kdc
I've had 3 Sorentos and like them but noticed you mention MPG. Sorento is not exactly great on fuel, depending on the circumstances.

For city driving it uses a lot of fuel. Highway driving it can be quite reasonable if you maintain consistent speed and go slower, as in 55-60 mph. But my experience driving in USA is that people like to go 70+, and there's a big drop off in gas mileage especially with the 4 cyl at higher speeds.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
And further to RentoEX good comments, I think the Sorento AWD is essentially FWD until things get slipper, and there isn't much much extra weight or drag that would cause higher fuel consumption.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've had 3 Sorentos and like them but noticed you mention MPG. Sorento is not exactly great on fuel, depending on the circumstances.

For city driving it uses a lot of fuel. Highway driving it can be quite reasonable if you maintain consistent speed and go slower, as in 55-60 mph. But my experience driving in USA is that people like to go 70+, and there's a big drop off in gas mileage especially with the 4 cyl at higher speeds.
I agree. I unfortunately only do city driving...with the V6 I get about 20 in the winter if i baby the throttle. On this highway is another story though, It does great UNDER 70.

I didn't buy this exactly for the fuel economy though...nobody buys a mid-size suv for fuel economy. Regardless of what the window sticker says.

I'm still happy with it and the 6-speed auto paired to the 3.5L makes for one sweet combination. It's always in the right gear.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
I agree. I unfortunately only do city driving...with the V6 I get about 20 in the winter if i baby the throttle. On this highway is another story though, It does great UNDER 70.

I didn't buy this exactly for the fuel economy though...nobody buys a mid-size suv for fuel economy. Regardless of what the window sticker says.

I'm still happy with it and the 6-speed auto paired to the 3.5L makes for one sweet combination. It's always in the right gear.
+1
I get better fuel economy then I thought I would with a 280hp engine.:D

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts
I'm in Canada. The best I've done with my V6 AWD is 8.1 litres per 100kms on the highway with the cruise at 110 km/h (roughly 65 mph).

My cousin has a FWD 4 cycliner and difference in gas mileage is hardly worth mentioning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello,

I wish to thank everyone for their comments. My wife said she wants the Sorento. So it's done. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Sorento, it's loaded and very peppy. Just concerned about the AWD option and the panoramic roof heating up the interior of the car more than the AC can handle.

I called KIA service department and gave them VIN so they can check the history of the car and make sure that it is not marked as lemon or junk. It's clean.
The car was first sold May 2010. Since we will be the second owner, the 100k drive train warranty is not valid anymore.

We figure we will hit the end of the 5 year 60k manufactures warranty about June of 2014. KIA is offering an extended 4 year 60k after the manufactures runs out for $2,400. I only do this because of the AWD options and all the other gadgets on it.

Again, thanks for your comments.
kdc

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
I'm in Canada. The best I've done with my V6 AWD is 8.1 litres per 100kms on the highway with the cruise at 110 km/h (roughly 65 mph).

My cousin has a FWD 4 cycliner and difference in gas mileage is hardly worth mentioning.
That isn't bad all things considered. I was wondering what someone might get in L/100 km...

I'm about to buy a 2014, so that is a nice surprise. Not that fuel consumption was at the top of my list for buying the Sorento to begin with. :lol:

Does the 2011 have the active eco function?

·
Registered
532 Posts
That isn't bad all things considered. I was wondering what someone might get in L/100 km...

I'm about to buy a 2014, so that is a nice surprise. Not that fuel consumption was at the top of my list for buying the Sorento to begin with. :lol:

Does the 2011 have the active eco function?
No, the 2011-13's only have an Eco indicator that does nothing to actually affect fuel economy. It just lets you know if you're driving heavy or light footed.

I get about 12.5 L/100km city and 10.0L/100km hwy.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Just concerned about the AWD option and the panoramic roof heating up the interior of the car more than the AC can handle.
Im not sure if its standard or comes with a certain package but mine has rear ac as well. I don't even notice the awd until I need it or pass other cars that are stuck^_^, I got awd for mainly the winter but I would be fine without it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
140 Posts
Hello,

Thanks
kdc
I just hit 100,400 miles in my 2011 Kia Sorento LX AWD model. The AWD, in 100K miles, contributed $0 to additional maintenance costs...tires were replaced at 40K due to two flats (still had life) and at 100K the second set still have a majority of their life left.

Whats more, my maintenance spreadsheet indicates cost to drive the vehicle are down nearly 60% from my Jeep Grand Cherokee which the Kia replaced.

Rotate the tires, check fluids and the system shouldn't be expensive.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
KIA is offering an extended 4 year 60k after the manufactures runs out for $2,400.
Who is offering this...is it actually Kia Motor Corp. or an aftermarket outfit that is sold by your Kia dealer? The aftermarket might be OK if they don't go out of business before it expires. In any case, check other dealerships and on line. These are a product like anything else, and the price & profit margin are negotiable. Even a non-Kia dealer can sell you an aftermarket extended service plan for this Sorento. In some regions (your profile doesn't state your location) the selling dealership must honor the service plan even if the underwriter goes bust--one reason to buy the extended service plan from a Kia dealership.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Who is offering this...is it actually Kia Motor Corp. or an aftermarket outfit that is sold by your Kia dealer? The aftermarket might be OK if they don't go out of business before it expires. In any case, check other dealerships and on line. These are a product like anything else, and the price & profit margin are negotiable. Even a non-Kia dealer can sell you an aftermarket extended service plan for this Sorento. In some regions (your profile doesn't state your location) the selling dealership must honor the service plan even if the underwriter goes bust--one reason to buy the extended service plan from a Kia dealership.
Always read the fine print...some of the third party places in Canada don't cover nuts, bolts, screws, etc. LOL. :lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
No, the 2011-13's only have an Eco indicator that does nothing to actually affect fuel economy. It just lets you know if you're driving heavy or light footed.

I get about 12.5 L/100km city and 10.0L/100km hwy.
I have yet to see < 12L/100km .. and neither my wife nor I drive heavy footed and that is also with an 80/20 (hwy/city) combo.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have yet to see < 12L/100km .. and neither my wife nor I drive heavy footed and that is also with an 80/20 (hwy/city) combo.
I don't know why mine gets what it does but it's most likely because I do 90/10 city-hwy. These V6's are highway motors, not City. Like every V6-V8 out there.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts

Strictly all highway, I can get 8l/100kms. Once I start doing some city driving, that goes up to between 10 and 12l depending on the amount of city driving.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
584 Posts
The best i got so far with highway driving is 8.9L/100km with a constant 100kph speed on cruise while in city I am only getting 12-14L/100kms if not so traffic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts