Kia Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sorento EX 4x4 & 2011 Sorento AWD 2.4 engine L4 THETA 2
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update - Didn't get the adv scanner so continue to use my scanner. Got a P0106 code along with the permanent codes of P0011 and P0014. I checked the connectors on the MAP sensor and also checked the pins on the ECU. Seemed like the ECU connector was a little dusty/dirty so I cleaned them off. I cleared the codes and drove the car again as I wanted to compare the reading of the MAP sensor with no codes and WOW! All the codes were gone! Even the permanent ones, So I got a OEM oil filter and changed the oil again as recommended and drove it for about 15 miles with some stops and starts and no codes. Could it have been the ecu connection? Or the oil had to circulate? None the less I changed it again and so far no codes. Hopefully this solved the problem with a combination of replaced the intake solenoid, 2 oil changes and reset and cleaned the ecu connectors. Thanks again everyone for your help with this one!

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,244 Posts
... Could it have been the ecu connection? Or the oil had to circulate? ...
Computer-related issues can sometimes seem almost supernatural, and it's impossible to say for certain why the codes disappeared suddenly like they did. Nice to read your good news, and hopefully those codes won't come back in the future.

If you drained into a very clean catch pan, how did the oil look on the 2 extra oil changes?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have changed the oil 2 times so far with the last time I used (am using) an OEM oil filter. The oil still looked dark brown (dirty) so I guess the engine was still dirty. Hopefully now its clean or much cleaner. Thanks..

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
169 Posts
Could it have been the ecu connection?
It could have very well been a connection problem. These are low voltage systems and it takes very little to cause a bad signal condition. This would have shown up on the proper scanner, which is expensive. By pulling the connection you have done a couple of things. You have re-seated the connection on the pins and you have flexed the wiring on the crimp on terminals for the connection joint. By flexing them, they are re-seated also. To try and prevent the terminals from oxidation use dielectric grease on and around the connection joint. You can use a hair dryer to get any moisture out of the connection joint before applying the dielectric grease.

If you have check all the wiring and re-seated all the related connectors back to the ECM, you would properly be further ahead taking it to a garage to have diagnosis done to find the problem. Sometime if you do not have the proper tools, you can only do so much.
Wiring and connections are parts that most people over look as they just want to bolt something on but without the proper signals getting back to the ECM, the parts are still not going to work. ECM codes are just general areas to check and never tell you the exact part that is bed....that is where a good (expensive) scanner can help and mechanical testing is needed. A tool is only as good as the person using it, so I do not have a lot of faith in a dealership, and if you do not have the proper tools it can be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack to locate problem. To through parts at a problem is wasting money for me. It is good to hear that you got it working and never overlook the wiring in these new cars because it is bare minimum of what is needed. It will cause problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for all your help with this and to all the others as well. 2 weeks ans still no codes. Thanks again!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts