Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Sedona 2011, LX model
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know where the TPMS ecu is located? I'm guessing it's behind the glovebox...but not sure. I have the perpetual lit TPMS light. I took it to the shop and they can't get a response from any of the tire sensors. The air pressure is fine in each tire. Any help would be great... and I don't mean putting tape over the indicator. Also, I pulled the fuse, but light still on.

·
Registered
Sedona 2011, LX model
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ooops.... I just discovered the online KGIS data site. The TPMS receiver is behind the radio. I'll take that stuff apart and see what's going on.

·
Registered
Sedona 2011, LX model
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what I am going to try...to shut off that "TPMS" light. I'll pull the radio, remove the plug from the TPMS receiver and use a 3.3K-1.4w resistor to jump between pins 1 and 12. pin 1 is Battery and pin 12 is TPMS Warning. This trick should fool the system and is from the Toyota forum. Anybody have any thoughts about this...I don't want electrical issues. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
Why are you going through all this trouble? Its under warranty, take it to the dealer.

All of the sensors don't read? I don't think so. Does said shop have the right equipment?

·
Registered
Sedona 2011, LX model
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealer here is lame (Kona, Hi). Actually it's part of a motorcycle dealership. They want to keep the van several days... I have no confidence in them. Went by yesterday...just as they rolled a car off the front of a fully raised rack. Looks like a DIY project

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
There are batteries inside the tire pressure sensors inside the wheels, ever think the batteries might be dead?
Those sensors need to be changed everytime you get new tires at the very least.

·
Registered
Sedona 2011, LX model
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sensors are less than 2 years old...batteries usually last several years. Even using exciter tool we couldn't get any sensor to respond. I think it's probably a faulty receiver. I can't leave the van for several days while these guys screw around trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I dont blame you, I dont like the TPS system on any car, it never works right.
Thank you Ford and Firestone for selling defective tires and recommending they be ran under-inflated killing people so now we all have to have that stupid light on on the dash or chase a red herring.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The sensors DO NOT need changed every time tires are changed. The sensors will respond even with a faulty TPMS module/receiver.

It is extremely, extremely unlikely that all four sensors went bad at the same time, so unlikely that I'd even say its impossible without outside "help". Did you recently have tires installed? Tire shops are notorious for breaking sensors.

I realize that you don't want to take it to the dealer, but it may turn out to be something simpler than you think. TPMS isn't rocket science, someone at the dealer knows how to diagnose it. It doesn't help that you are in Hawaii, as parts take longer to get.

·
Registered
Sedona 2011, LX model
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car still has original tires. I took the car to Goodyear and they couldn't get a response from any of the sensors. I've been to the dealer twice and they just clear the light...but it comes back on after a short ride and a restart.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The sensors DO NOT need changed every time tires are changed. The sensors will respond even with a faulty TPMS module/receiver.
Every tire shop I have ever been too, including stealers, say to change the TPMS module every time you get new tires.
I asked, they say because the modules will not last a whole 'nother 60k, so rather than remove the tires from the rims at 100k (40k into the new tires for example) it is just cheaper and easier to replace them when you get new tires.
Obviously your results may vary on module life, tire life, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Every tire shop I have ever been too, including stealers, say to change the TPMS module every time you get new tires.
I asked, they say because the modules will not last a whole 'nother 60k, so rather than remove the tires from the rims at 100k (40k into the new tires for example) it is just cheaper and easier to replace them when you get new tires.
Obviously your results may vary on module life, tire life, etc. etc.
I've never heard a tire shop say this. Most tire shops will try to sell a TPMS kit with every tire change, which just includes new gaskets and nuts for the bolt in style sensors, although most of the time they don't fit correctly and/or end up causing more problems(leaks) if installed.

As for battery life, I have seen vehicles over 6 years old and 100k miles with original sensors that have never been removed, other than the cores to remove the air, and been through multiple tire changes and they still work perfect.

Whoever is telling you sensors need changed every tire change is feeding you BS and trying, and apparently succeeding, to rip you off.

·
Registered
145 Posts
They are not ripping me off, currently none of my cars have TPMS and when I get a Sedona I will not replace the TPMS, the light can be on on the dash all it wants, I dont care.
I check my tires once a month with a actual gauge just like you are supposed to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts