Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to this forum and looking for help.

Yesterday my wife was driving our 2011 Sedona on the interstate with the cruise control set on 70 mph when all of the sudden the vehicle decides that it wants to disengage the cruise and abruptly apply the brakes itself (somehow). She said the braking was hard enough to make the tires chirp. She compares the experience to driving on ice, but with alot of noise and jerking. She also said when pulling the vehicle into the emergency lane, it felt like the front wheel was falling off (wobbling). She also heard some sort of noise after the vehicle was stopped. She turned the vehicle off, called me, and I met her on the interstate about an hour after it happened. I get in the vehicle, drive it home with no problems. I checked the lug nuts and they are all tight. The wheel is tight with no play as well. I drove the vehicle about 200 miles today with no issues, but it worries me that it could happen again while in traffic. Luckily there was no one around when it happened to her. We use the vehicle for our courier service, so it has high miles for a 2011 (128,000 miles). We love the van, but the thought of this happening again in traffic is just scary. I'm not letting her drive it again until we find out what is going on. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
What your wife describes, might sound like it could be her interpretation of the ABS system working.

Perhaps you could take her out in the van to a location where it's safe to test out the ABS system and do some hard braking to activate the ABS?

If the feeling she gets from that type of test is what she experienced then perhaps there's an issue with the ABS?

I don't know if you are mechanically inclined or not but if you are, perhaps you could do a simple visual check of the brake system?

I'm not aware of cruise control systems applying the brakes - I've only driven vehicles where engine braking is used to slow the speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gtd, thanks for your reply. I agree that what she experienced was probably an ABS issue of some sort. I had the van scanned by Kia today. There were no active codes, but there were two codes in the history. One for a L front wheel speed sensor fault and also one for a R front wheel speed sensor fault. The mechanic cleared the codes and then drove the vehicle with the scanner plugged in and he said that both sensors were working properly and had accurate readings. They didn't really have an explanation for the cause and they weren't sure if the actual wheel speed sensor fault was what caused the problem or if showing a wheel speed sensor fault was the after result of what happened. I did replace the right front wheel bearing hub a few weeks ago. Maybe a small piece of loose dirt or rust from that interfered with the magnetic sensor.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
It's possibly just a one off freak condition that was experienced.

I've had a few things over the years with cars that didn't recurr after thinking something had gone awry.

At least you've had the system checked and the van has been given a clean bill of health.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
I did drive a car in the '80s that had cruise control which included braking to maintain speed downhill. Worked OK, but felt weird. Newer cars don't have CC braking, it seems.

Does the Sedona normally have this feature? Otherwise hard to see how a sensor fault would activate what seems almost like "panic" braking. Might be a firmware glitch.

Seems to me that KIA has a very extensive system of sensors and error codes. How reliable is it? Might be better to engineer the cars so they don't generate errors?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think the Sedona has CC breaking. I think that the CC disengaged when the problem/braking started for whatever reason. Sorry for the confusion in my initial statement.

Is there any way to determine if a firmware glitch happened?

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
432 Posts
the sedona does not have active braking, may be the sensor glitch caused the stability control to behave weirdly?????

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The Sedona actually does have some sort of CC braking. I drive in a hilly area, and it won't gain more than 1-2 MPH, even on some pretty big hills. I don't think it actually uses the brakes, I think it just cuts fuel to the injectors. Both of my 06 Sedonas do this.

·
Registered
sedona ts previous st170 standard ford focus orion fiesta diesel best of all ford granada ghia
32 Posts
maybe it just high compression that stops it speeding up down hill even more so at low speeds this could keep speed down unless your talking one in five decline ?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Couple of thoughts- responses in bold below.

Hi. I'm new to this forum and looking for help.

Yesterday my wife was driving our 2011 Sedona on the interstate with the cruise control set on 70 mph when all of the sudden the vehicle decides that it wants to disengage the cruise and abruptly apply the brakes itself (somehow). She said the braking was hard enough to make the tires chirp. She compares the experience to driving on ice, but with alot of noise and jerking. She also said when pulling the vehicle into the emergency lane, it felt like the front wheel was falling off (wobbling). She also heard some sort of noise after the vehicle was stopped. She turned the vehicle off, called me, and I met her on the interstate about an hour after it happened. I get in the vehicle, drive it home with no problems. I checked the lug nuts and they are all tight. The wheel is tight with no play as well. I drove the vehicle about 200 miles today with no issues, but it worries me that it could happen again while in traffic. Luckily there was no one around when it happened to her. We use the vehicle for our courier service, so it has high miles for a 2011 (128,000 miles). We love the van, but the thought of this happening again in traffic is just scary.

I'm not letting her drive it again until we find out what is going on. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Gtd, thanks for your reply. I agree that what she experienced was probably an ABS issue of some sort. I had the van scanned by Kia today. There were no active codes, but there were two codes in the history.

1: As this is a issue that might result in loss of life - get printouts and detailed tech notes documenting everything.
(You need to have someone else pull /document the codes- Kia pulling, then deleting the codes is like having the Fox guarding the chicken coop.)

2: Demand they contact KIA tech line. Demand copy of their response in WRITING.
3: Find out who the DPSM is in your area (District Parts and Service Manager). AKA Factory Rep. He/she is the one who has the power to replace components in mass. Ask what he'd do if his wife was driving the car.
(Try to find out if he has "turned wrenches= worked on cars professionally)- instead of being just a paper-pusher.)
4: 2011 (128,000 miles), used in courier service: I envision you drive in a spirited manner (Fast, hard on brakes), along with periods of slow stop and go, extended idling, or periods of slow traffic in which braking system is exposed to higher than normal temps.
You might want to stress to him that the vehicle being on the road 5,000 miles per month is exposing others on the road to real danger.

Be prepared for the "this vehicle is not designed for commercial use.

One for a L front wheel speed sensor fault and also one for a R front wheel speed sensor fault. The mechanic cleared the codes and then drove the vehicle with the scanner plugged in and he said that both sensors were working properly and had accurate readings.

What was the fault code?

They didn't really have an explanation for the cause and they weren't sure if the actual wheel speed sensor fault was what caused the problem or if showing a wheel speed sensor fault was the after result of what happened.

Very strange- I did replace the right front wheel bearing hub a few weeks ago. Maybe a small piece of loose dirt or rust from that interfered with the magnetic sensor.

That is possible.

Things to inspect:

1: Having both L and R front sensors throw codes=
Extreme mileage on car.
Environmental= Drive WHERE?
Does state/country/county put SALT on the roads?
How many miles do you get on a set of brake discs (rotors)? / pads?
Does shop keep braking system "clean" /lubricated?
Is there alot of brake dust build-up?
Wet season? puddles? , Snow?

Or do you live in a dry region of the world?
Road conditions. smooth pavement- or pothole filled roads?

2: Right front wheel bearing replaced several weeks ago = During front end work- could wiring been "stressed"?

3:ABS system is tied in with engine management IIRC, ESC system - See below thread for how ESC system is tied in with TPS (Throttle Position Sensor

Your description of what happened up to the point the braking system all of the sudden applied the brakes sounds TPS, ESC related.

Read thru this thread:

TPS SENSOR, Symptoms of TPS failure CEL, ESC OFF LIGHT ON=TOTAL LOSS OF POWER

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona-2006/80251-tps-sensor-symptoms-tps-failure-cel.html

If I had to guess:

Bad sensors= fatigued wiring(Replace them- wiring thru wheel-well.)
ABS Controller
ECU - whatever control boxes get signal from sensors is going bad.
ESC = Electronic stability control is going bad.

All could be bad.

PS: High mileage on car= ALOT of run time on these boxes in a short amount of time = Google something called "Wave-Soldering".

In a nutshell- large component (items that have alot of current flow) do NOT get properly soldered during the manufacturing process- each time the device is used- item heats up, then contracts. End time the item goes thru a cycle (Heated and cooled) the solder develops cracks, crack gets bigger and bigger.

Q: Is vehicle parked inside?
Q: What temps is vehicle exposed to?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts