Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil and the oil looked disgusting after the 3750 mile change interval recommended by Kia. It looked really dirty, much dirtier than the previous two changes. I also noticed that the coolant looked low. Are the 3.5L Lambda II engines bad on head gaskets? I only have 45,000 miles and will be beyond peeved if it needs a head gasket replacement this early in its lifespan.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,504 Posts
The oil look bad becouse you were due for a oil change. I've been working for Kia for over 3 years now, I've never seen a 3.5 with a blown h/gasket.

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
I would stay were you are, just don't go over 3750. What kind of oil, and filter are you using?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Previous two changes were Castrol GTX 5w-20 with a Purolator filter. This time I am using a Kia Genuine filter with Castrol GTX 5w-20.

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
Good you have upgraded your filter, I'll bet next time your oil looks better!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope so...I plan on keeping this van until it dies. Surprisingly, the Kia filters cost less than the aftermarket ones...I am going to be using the OEM ones from now on.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've found that Castrol GTX seems to get "dirty" quicker than some other oils. I use Castrol Synthetic 5W-30 and it stays clean-looking for a long time. I've heard say that "dirty" doesn't necessarily mean "bad". Just take a look at your average mechanic's hands. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Get away from Castrol GTX. I recently had a Sedona in with 42k that used nothing but Castrol GTX for infrequent oil changes and it was sludged so bad it clogged the oil ports for the chains and wiped them out, along with the guides, oil pump, and the CVVT assemblies. Warranty did not cover the repair.

We use Mobil 5-30 where I work and have no issues.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get away from Castrol GTX. I recently had a Sedona in with 42k that used nothing but Castrol GTX for infrequent oil changes and it was sludged so bad it clogged the oil ports for the chains and wiped them out, along with the guides, oil pump, and the CVVT assemblies. Warranty did not cover the repair.

We use Mobil 5-30 where I work and have no issues.
I guess I will go back to Quaker State or SuperTech. I used both previously and neither came out looking like the garbage that came out when I drained the used Castrol. I am anal about changing my oil...I don't go more than 100 miles over the required interval.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I used Castrol GTX for many years without apparent trouble except for noting the dirty appearance. Oil changes at 10,000km intervals or 12 months. I've recently swapped to Castrol Magnatec for one car. I haven't pulled down the engines to check for wear, but the valve gear, OHC cams etc. on one car looked "as new" when inspected at 150,000 km.

BurghBeagle: Oil isn't suddenly going to fail at 3750+50 miles! There are reports of cars going for 10 times longer than that due to lack of maintenance. -Not recommended, but shows that all is not lost if you go over. In Australia, KIA recommends 15,000km service intervals, with 7,500km under severe conditions. The early history of our Cerato (Forte) involved a lot of moderate freeway commuting, so 15,000km was appropriate. This year, there will be more short journeys, so 7500km will be the chosen interval.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
I'd suspect that a 3750 mile oil change interval in normal driving condition is actually a ridiculously short period.

Of course there's not really anything wrong with changing your oil more frequently so this may well give you added peace of mind.

There is a story that the low 3000 mile oil change interval was dreamed up by Jiffy Lube to make more money. If you look at the same engines or vehicles outside of the USA you won't see the lower oil change recommendations, at least not based on my observations.

Depending on the car/engine, I normally just choose to change the oil twice a year, irresepective of the distance travelled, if doing a significant mileage and only once a year if the car is used less frequently.

My mothers old Mazda was 14 years old when we passed it on - it had oil changes at best, once per year and still ran like the day it left the factory.

I've also read technical reports where very high mileage black oil was analysed in a lab and it still had all of the required properties that oil requires to cool and lubricate an engine.

Decades ago there was a motorcycle magazine that ran a little Honda Cub for 50,000 miles on the same oil from the factory - the engine ran perfectly.

I think I'd be looking for signs of sludging in the oil before I became worried but at the end of the day, it's what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's cheap insurance. Oil and oil filters are cheap, engines are not. I change the oil every 3,750 miles per the owners manual...I think that's a good interval considering most of my driving is in town and going up and down hills. I just remember when I used SuperTech and Quaker State oil, when I drained it out the oil looked a lot cleaner than when I used the Castrol GTX. I may just switch back to the SuperTech because it's really inexpensive and it's supposedly a good oil...the van seemed to like it. The only reason I used Castrol GTX this time is because I had an extra quart and didn't want to waste it. Thanks for everyone's insight...with this forum I think I can reach my goal of getting 400,000 miles out of my van before retiring it!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 2011-2012 models use the 3.5L Lambda II Series engines. The 2006-2010 models used the 3.8L Lambda engine.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The 3.5L in the 2011-12 Sedona is a de-bored version of the 3.8L.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
The 3.5L in the 2011-12 Sedona is a de-bored version of the 3.8L.
Its actually a completely different engine. They look the same but nothing is interchangeable from the 3.3L and 3.8L Lambda I engines. Only the 3.8L in the Borrego is similar, as it is also a Lambda II.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I didn't say any parts were interchangeable, but their design and construction are nearly identical. Visually the same, even if not physically.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
The 2011-2012 models use the 3.5L Lambda II Series engines. The 2006-2010 models used the 3.8L Lambda engine.
Thanks for the update on that one - seems mad that they changed it for such a short run time?

Are there any benefits to the reduced capacity?

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Castrol, in fact it's one of the top conventional oils available. If it looks dirty it is cleaning, that is a good thing. Probably cleaning up some of the residue your previous "clean looking" oils left behind. They may have looked clean because they were NOT cleaning.

Under no circumstances can you accurately gauge the actual lubricating properties of oil by looking at it. That's what they use lab analysis for. The only exception would be extreme coolant or fuel contamination.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts