Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a suggestion on if there is a way to get roof racks mounted to a 2011 Sorento that came from the factory without roof racks? The dealerships are telling me there is no way to get roof racks mounted if they do not come from the factory. I find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
I think the Original Poster is talking about the two rails that a roof rack like a Yakima would mount to...the two rails that go from front to back...one on the driver's side and the other on the passenger side just above the door.

Don't know...I didn't know some came without these.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
In Australia, the base models don't have roof RAILS.
The front-to-back rails that run along the car.
Higher-spec has the RAILS.

RAILS are easy to mount RACKS to... But not necessary.
You can get RACKS that mount to the roof bodywork - usually at the top of the door arches.
Then, once you have the RACKS (side-to-side) mounted, you can mount boxes or trays or skiis or bikes or anything!

If my interwebs was being more responsive, I'd post a few pictures. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roof Racks

Hi Dale
There is a fit for your vehicle as someone else has mentioned. Yakima has the fit and it would consist of 58" round bars a set of 4 Q Towers to hold the bars and Q Clips ( Q99) to be exact. This is an awesome product and there are tons of accessories.
Ed
Rack N Hitch
Langley B.C
Canada
604 532 1110

·
Registered
2002 F250 Lariat diesel, 20012 Kia Sorento LX
13 Posts
I dont have the factory racks either! Dale and I want to find the FACTORY RACKS that are on most Sorentos. See below no racks at all. Thanks for any info on FACTORY racks you can give us.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I dont have the factory racks either! Dale and I want to find the FACTORY RACKS that are on most Sorentos. See below no racks at all. Thanks for any info on FACTORY racks you can give us.
Ok I found them. they are expensive as hell!

2012 Kia Sorento Parts - Kia Car Parts has the Largest Inventory of Kia Parts in the USA!

Here is the parts and price list

http://kiacarparts.net/shoppingcart...ponent=Roof rail screw&startrow=1&searchtext=

Ill keep looking and see if I can find cheaper.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
422 Posts
There was a thread on this about 2-3 years ago. I found parts etc.. almost purchased the original rails for my 2011 without rails.

There are 2-3 issues:
-Kia says that if your car wasn't built with roof rails, that your car doesn't have the frame/stability in the roof for the rails. I'm skeptical on this, but I have a panoramic sunroof and wasn't willing to test it.
-You may or may not have the mounting points for the rails in your roof. I did, but Kia says that most Sorentos don't. These are welded into the roof.
-There are bolts that come from underneath the mounting points. I don't know if these bolts can be put in after the fact, since there isn't much clearance. You might have to remove the mounting point, put the bolt in, and then weld it again.

I ended up not getting rails for my Sorento and just living with it. I decided that if I did need a rack, that I was going to go the Yakima Tower mount way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Parts are expensive but not outrageous. I will have to check and see if the roof racks will work on mine. I just want them for the look of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts