Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Rondo 7seater, 4cyl,
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radio was dead during test drive.. they of course fixed it for delivery. Had it a day, died..
Took it to local kia dealer, fixed a wire.. lasted that drive home, dead next morning, returned for them to remove it for work order to replace unit. Took it in today.. and this is where it went from bad to ridiculous..
Brand new, not refurbished radio installed.. defective!
Next a refurbished installed. Manager offered to help set up bluetooth, got in car.. radio dead! Calls out tech.. tech takes veh back. Returns 10 minutes later, radio is playing Yay!! Again get into car, touch the pair button.. nothing.. starts hitting buttons.. nope nothing, but its playing.. Its near closing time so leave with the promise that when i return for different issue, radio will be replaced again with one that plays AND has working bluetooth.. drive away somewhat disgruntled.. Stop for gas, finish refueling, turn car back on and surprise!!! No radio.. dead again!! Anyone have a solution or even a reason? Please I am going insane without tunes.. wont even drive the damn thing for any trip longer then 30min.. I borrow my fathers car. My next step might be to return the whole damn car

·
Banned
79 Posts
Wow, that's just crazy! I sure hope I don't have problems with my radio, it's a 2012 but probably has the same stereo as yours does/did. I know they should be fixing it for free, and you probably don't want to go out of pocket to replace a stereo that SHOULD be working, but honestly, if it were me, and I was going on the 4th or 5th replacement, I would honestly say 'screw it' and go to an aftermarket stereo install shop, and get something new custom installed that I knew was going to work, and is probably 100x better than the factory unit anyways. It's not like it's running your alarm system, or has gps/nav in the unit right? So if it's just a cd/radio w/ bluetooth, you could easily get a replacement aftermarket radio easily installed by pros, and maybe even upgrade, get an amp installed too, maybe a nice subwoofer, get some really decent sound, if that's up your alley? I think after a 3rd radio I would tell them to forget it, that's beyond ridiculous, especially if a freaking NEW unit didn't even work.

(P.s have they tested for a short or something grounding out against the frame etc from the radio? Power wired shorting somewhere? It sounds like that is probably the problem, there's no way that many radios should fail, especially not a brand new one, that's crazy!! lol)

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
I would say, with that many replacements its not the stereo that's the cause. If I was that dealer I would be taking the vehicle to a professional stereo installer to source the problem, some dealer tech may not be as well versed as some of these people and it usually much cheaper for the dealer (and Kia to do this).

Is there anything else in the car not working when this happens? As the fuses been checked? It could be something almost as simple as a bad ground like Johnny said.

There is no way a dealer would take the vehicle back just simply because the radio doesn't work.

Alternative - suggest to the dealer about them arranging to install an aftermarket unit by a professional installer with them picking up the tab. It must as irritating to the dealership as it is to you.

I've been on the forum since 2007 and this is the first I can recall where there has been a problem like this on a OEM stereo unit to this extent - still thinking its something very simple that's causing this.

I have read about people having something similar (intermittent) but it was starting the vehicle and after trying all sorts of things, the problem was eventually solved by removing the ground wire to the chassis and removing a bit of paint and doing a good solid ground, some other cases with similar problem it was something as simple as a connection was not tight - again an intermittent problem.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul, 1.6hdi auto, in Mixx trim, White over Powder Blue
650 Posts
The only other similar case I know of was with a UK spec Carens which had a wiring loom fault from a poor installation at the factory, it had more Gremlins than my good friend Mogwai!

·
Banned
79 Posts
Agreed (ConwelPic) ... from my own experience installing aftermarket stereos/cd players in a few of the cars I've owned, and friends cars etc, whenever something keeps blowing a fuse or not working, like in your case, it's 'always something simple' that's causing the problem. That's what my uncle said the first time he helped me install my first stereo in a pick up truck I had years ago, and he was right. The stereo wouldn't power up, I looked over everything I did, couldn't figure it out, he found a little fuse that was blown, 'always something simple' he said lol. Every time since, it's been something simple, blown fuse, ground not connected 100%, wires mixed up, etc.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
How clever one would have to be to notice that IF several units were replaced and the problem is still there that means it is NOT radio related?

Lets diagnose what the issue is. Is it power supply? Is it interference? Is it some circuit shorted (speakers?)? Do all the speakers play?
Gosh...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update/additional Info

Sorry about delay in responses.. was away.
So first, told them(place of purchase) I was going to go with an aftermarket and they or KIA was footing the bill. Response, KIA: You will void the warranty on your whole electrical system.
Second, other suspect coincidences.. When I first spoke to them, I also mentioned that the interior light stopped working.. KIA: Did you check and see if the bulb was just burned out? Me: Why would a 1-1/2 yr old bulb burn out?? My last car was 10yrs old and it never burned out.. and may I add it was used a lot more (I have a huge issue with the design of the interior lighting or rather lack of it, in the kia.. no interior light till I open the door.. kinda late) never the less, when I took it up last time for the radio they checked the interior light and a whole new assembly is on order..hmmmmm.
Third.. Service manager called me, after I started this thread. Now the plan is I bring car in, and they keep it for the day so they can collaborate with kia engineers... Fingers crossed..
Additional information for those of you that like to troubleshoot.. lol
The first and second radio.. while not working.. the little red light stayed constantly lit. This last one.. its off. The lights on radio, dials buttons etc are illuminated, but but the window is dark. Next.. I am not sure if this is an issue or its supposed to be this way.. reading the manual it implies that the power outlet in the armrest should still work when car is off.. mine doesn't? Can someone tell me if it should.. (another neg point if it isn't supposed to have power..) I often have things charge while I have car turned off.. in prev car I had two as well, one stayed on if need be, the other did not. and yet another issue just discovered this weekend.. I have no heat coming out at feet/legs.. with either setting, feet area only or windshield defrost/feet area.

Oh yeah.. That reminds me, and this is kinda funny I am not sure if the front window defrost thing works.. (button to left of steering wheel) I left is on one day and waited.. the light dusting of snow did not change or melt in anyway.. when I told this to dealer first they came out and said we ran the defrost for 10 minutes, it blew hot air fine. I said No, the button for defrost to the left of the steering wheel, not the air vent defrost. He had to go find out what that button was and then I was told that it was just to defrost the area where the wipers are so if they are frozen you don't destroy them turning them on while they are frozen in place.. but it seems to me something that is supposed to thaw ice in that area.. (bottom of window area) after 10 minutes I should have seen some of the snow in the immediate area above start to melt.. just due to its proximity to the area. I didn't, and couldn't make them understand that.. just kept saying.. its just to thaw wipers... so unsure if its not working or just useless..
Sooooooooo just how many strange individual 'problems' will I have to endure and keep wasting time in the waiting room.. before they recognize that its all connected and much bigger problem then just the radio, if that is the case.. and then what?
Thanks everyone for your interest, tips and ideas, will keep ya posted.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
kozmik - would be helpful for this and future conversations if you could give more details on your Rondo by adding to your DRIVES profile on the left - model, engine size, also did you purchase this vehicle used or new? Where in Ontario are you located, its a big area :)

To let you know, I owned a '08 Rondo EX, 2.4L 5-seater model for four years, so I do have a bit of history with this model. Traded it on the Soul not because there was anything wrong, quite the opposite, that's why I bought another KIA.

with regards some of your comments, see if I can shed some light :)
- dome light, never replaced any of mine (maybe the light problem is to do with the radio)
- if you have remote key-less entry (not on LX model), when you press the button to unlock the interior lights come on for up to 30 seconds. It will re-lock if you do not enter within that time.
- on my Rondo the power outlet in the armrest was not "live", but the one in the cargo area was (not the case with my Soul)
- heat - never had any problem with heat, used up to -35C with no problems (again could be tied in with radio problem) fuses for the heater okay? But the dealer said it worked fine.
- yes that button controls the wiper de-icer, I had that, great feature (wish I had it on my Soul). Don't expect it to do any defrosting above the wipers, it will do it just below as it has a single strand wire (like your rear defrost strands in your rear window) across the base of the windshield. If you look carefully and light is right you may perhaps barely see it just above the back of the dash on the glass.
How quick it works with ice would depend on the thickness, same with your rear window too. If you get a bit of snow or throw some on just below your wipers and you should see if work.
If I had snow or ice on the car, I would first start it, then switch on the wiper de-icer, rear window defrost while I cleared the side windows and by that time the rear window was coming very clear and easy to scrape off then went to the windshield and the wiper de-icer had loosened or cleared in that area and able to flip-up the wipers and then cleared off the windshield.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well seems its fixed.. going to pick it up tonight. Fingers crossed so tight they are knotted.
As for dome light.. mine has never come on unless the door is opened.. entering or leaving car.. and again, I have a huge issue with the the lack of sense or safety of that set up. But this is not the place for that. Not sure about the arm power.. I hope mine is actually broken or I will be adding that to the ill thought out design.. All these things I just assumed did what I would normally expect.. so no I didn't check during test drives. At this point I will be happy to have a working radio and heat.. which according to them I now have.. If you see a post tomorrow from me.. it will be to ask for opinions on which car to return it for LOL.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well so far so good..
It appears no power to armrest outlet, and foot area heat is pretty low.. but the radio is working!! Not sure what exactly they did.. but my panel is pretty gauged along edges so I know they tore it out... But the radio works!!! lol.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Rondo
10 Posts
2011 owner as well

Kozmik, did you check if there was a re-call on the radio? Mine stopped playing cd's and I knew there was a re-call on that so am having it replaced. Am also having an acc plug replaced in the rear as it works intermitently. Had to argue with them over that one. Am also dealing with the dealer on the mountain and have had quite a few problems with them until I told them I would send in a report to Better Business Breau and Consumer Affairs.
If they distroyed the interior have them replace it since it's supposed to be returned in the condition you gave it to them.

·
Registered
2012 Rondo V6 EX, 2013 Rio
3 Posts
I bought a 2012 Rondo in November, defective radio at new, display had about one digit that worked, waited 4 months for replacement, so far it's working good. So, Dealer said there was a major bad batch of radios and were back ordered, A sad thing in a new vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kozmik, did you check if there was a re-call on the radio? Mine stopped playing cd's and I knew there was a re-call on that so am having it replaced. Am also having an acc plug replaced in the rear as it works intermittently. Had to argue with them over that one. Am also dealing with the dealer on the mountain and have had quite a few problems with them until I told them I would send in a report to Better Business Breau and Consumer Affairs.
If they destroyed the interior have them replace it since it's supposed to be returned in the condition you gave it to them.
I still have to go back for the interior light, gonna bring it up then.. and going to make use of the review thing they are big on.. When I mentioned the gauge marks he said just run a lighter over it, that will take care of it.. so I left thinking it wasn't going to be a big deal.. but the lighter thing didn't work.. I hate having to bitch.. he is a nice guy.. but I cant understand why they would hack at it and think its ok to return it to me like that?? btw.. radio is still working lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought a 2012 Rondo in November, defective radio at new, display had about one digit that worked, waited 4 months for replacement, so far it's working good. So, Dealer said there was a major bad batch of radios and were back ordered, A sad thing in a new vehicle.
4 Months!! I would have driven the car into their service bay and walked away with the keys.. OMG I would have gone postal!!
According to my service guy.. the backorder was caused by dealers not returning all the units they had replaced.. left a shortage of units to refurbish to send out again.. so leave the customers waiting while you try to get units back?? Nooo I don't think so.. order new ones, why should their customers be put out because their dealers are slacking off..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Rondo
10 Posts
Well wouldn't you know it. Just had my radio replaced this morning along with the acc plug and they gouged the dash. Then had the nerve to say I brought it in like that. Needless to say I went directly to the GM who just happened to be in a meeting. I let them know I was not about to accept their attitude and they'd better get it fixed and properly. The funniest part is that all the scratches and gouges are around the cover that needs to be removed to replace the radio LOL, Ya I scratch my car just for fun LOL. And the staff changeover at that dealership, wow makes you wonder for sure. Is it the GM (wait even he left lol) or do they just pick any one wondering around and say come in and work for a day or two. They tried to sell me the cosmetic fix but I told them I brought in a new car and expect the same returned to me. Gonna be a fight I don't plan to loose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OMG.. well feel free to mention you know this isn't the first time.. Why would they for a second think thats acceptable?? I didn't put up a fight.. I thought the lighter thing would work (although yes I shouldnt have to "lighter" it) I was just so relieved to have a radio that worked... but I will be 'mentioning' it when I go back up. I am curious, you mention your acc plug.. I have yet to be able to determine if mine is faulty? Is it as it should be, and the manual implies.. supposed to still work after the car is off? (I am referring to the one in the armrest.)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Rondo
10 Posts
Hi Kozmik

So they are now asking me to return my car to correct the damaged dash. I did let them know that I wasn't the only one that had damages done to their dash when the radio was changed. I can also prove they did not change the acc plugin that doesn't work right as the screw doesn't have any of the original paint removed from it, the stuff I had there is in the exact same place (not disturbed) and they did not inspect the rotor's for warp-age as they said they did. I told them I have a detailed list of work they signed off on as doing but wasn't done and will report them to BBB and Consumer Affairs. They are now bending over backward to please me. I also got estimates for dash replacement from 3 of their closest competitors and the average price is $1,500.00 installed which is money I would have to deduct if I sold or traded in the car. I intend to get everything corrected by this dealer as it's been nothing but a headache since the day I bought the car. I'll make sure that after that I go to a better dealer.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Rondo
10 Posts
Oh and sorry but the armrest acc plug doesn't work when the car is off. Key has to be on ACC for any of the acc plugs to work in my car. Even the one in the bottom where the cig lighter is by the stick shift. Even the windows don't work with ACC, car has to be turned on. Hate that. It's the only car I've ever owned that is like that.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
Oh and sorry but the armrest acc plug doesn't work when the car is off. Key has to be on ACC for any of the acc plugs to work in my car. Even the one in the bottom where the cig lighter is by the stick shift. Even the windows don't work with ACC, car has to be turned on. Hate that. It's the only car I've ever owned that is like that.
Not trying to be rude here, but the "Accessory" setting on the ignition is for accessory electrical functions to work. I'm very surprised this is the only car you've owned that is like that. The only vehicle I had that got constant power to the 12v plug was a 1985 Toyota pickup. :)

The Rondo's owner's manual states:
"The power windows can be operated for approximately 30 seconds after the ignition key is removed or turned to the ACC or LOCK position. However, if the front doors are opened, the power windows cannot be operated within the 30 second period after the ignition key removal."

Then again:
"For the cigarette lighter to work, the ignition switch must be in the ACC position or the ON position."

For the radio:
{The power button} "Turns the set on/off when the ignition switch is on ACC or ON."

In regards to the ACC setting on the ignition switch:
"The steering wheel is unlocked and electrical accessories are operative."

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
what about the one in the cargo area! :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts