Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been having issues with my 2011 Kia Rio LX 1.4L Hatch (Australian version) stalling on me in traffic and then not wanting to restart for at least 5-15 minutes, sometimes more.

When I try to re-start it, I’ll get that sound you get when the battery doesn’t have enough juice to fully kick things over. Sometimes a push-start will help it get going, but a jump-start won’t. It doesn’t give me trouble on every occasion I drive it either, while it only gives me trouble when the car has driven at least a km or so.

So far I’ve replaced the Starter Motor and spark plugs, all of which are to Kia’s specs. Battery replaced as well. Crank shaft and fuel pump sensors are all fine, while the computer’s not showing up any problems with both my mechanic and an auto-electrician.

This car has been lovingly maintained it’s entire life - regular service and filters changed every 5000km to 7500km.

My gut feeling is that this issue is imobilliser based, though the dash light for that doesn’t come up. Meanwhile the keys are the type without batteries in them.

Does anybody have any thoughts? This is driving both my mechanic and I nuts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I’ve been having issues with my 2011 Kia Rio LX 1.4L Hatch (Australian version) stalling on me in traffic and then not wanting to restart for at least 5-15 minutes, sometimes more.

When I try to re-start it, I’ll get that sound you get when the battery doesn’t have enough juice to fully kick things over. Sometimes a push-start will help it get going, but a jump-start won’t. It doesn’t give me trouble on every occasion I drive it either, while it only gives me trouble when the car has driven at least a km or so.

So far I’ve replaced the Starter Motor and spark plugs, all of which are to Kia’s specs. Battery replaced as well. Crank shaft and fuel pump sensors are all fine, while the computer’s not showing up any problems with both my mechanic and an auto-electrician.

This car has been lovingly maintained it’s entire life - regular service and filters changed every 5000km to 7500km.

My gut feeling is that this issue is imobilliser based, though the dash light for that doesn’t come up. Meanwhile the keys are the type without batteries in them.
What does it mean when your car cranks but wont start? Review this issue in this link if you think it helps.
Are you thinking about fuel pump issue? because bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter or a bad fuel pressure regulator can result in a low fuel pressure which will lead in that your car might not start or take long times to start. Also i think you should check the cable or ground wire.

·
Super Moderator
9,545 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you thinking about fuel pump issue? because bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter or a bad fuel pressure regulator can result in a low fuel pressure which will lead in that your car might not start or take long times to start. Also i think you should check the cable or ground wire.
Yeah, we’ve thought about the fuel pump & fuel filter. Pump appears to be fine, as do the sensors and ground cable. Filters have been regularly changed.

·
Super Moderator
9,545 Posts

Based on the bold part, I would check all the main connections, engine grounding straps to chassis, battery Neg to chassis, battery Pos to main terminal of starter, ......... and measure the voltage at the starter when cranking.

A few of the Sportage models were plagued by bad engine to chassis grounds, which could only be assessed by taking them off and cleaning the contact surfaces.

·
Registered
16 Posts

its happen to My Pride..
its ECU
the solid Capacitor inside, wear out / end of Life.
I had replace the Capcitor by some ECU service shop.
Now its work again

my symptom is, engine just die, check by OBD by reader, no error code.
when trouble CHECK Engine Light is Off when key on ACC.
waiting 5 minutes, sometimes 15 min, Check Engine ON again then, I can start the engine. but only last for 5 minutes or 15 minutes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try replacing your Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor and your Throttle Position Sensor. I had similar problems to yours and the dealership replaced the TPS sensor and I replaced the MAP sensor myself. They're a bit difficult to reach but they're on the top of the engine and you can do it yourself. The parts will cost roughly $40 US for each but a car repair place will charge you hundreds of dollars do to it. I recommend rockauto.com for car parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts