Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some advice, please. We have 107k miles on our 2011 Sorento EX FWD and we have an issue with our latest set of tires. We have two front tires that have worn in the middle and inside edge prematurely at 30k miles out of 60k miles warranty). I spoke to our Discount Tire store and they won't replace them under warranty telling me the camber is not set right either in the front or rear of the vehicle. When I spoke to the shop that we've gone to for our alignment, he told me Kia Corp lists no specs for camber setting but he could possibly buy a kit if we wanted to have it set. We have only needed minor alignment adjustments. The Kia Dealership has never told us anything looks wrong with the car when we service it.

Also, the steering has started vibrating above 75 and I assume it's the tires (did a bad balance cause these issues?). I also assume these tires have been overinflated which I have never added air - I go to Discount for air and rotation and they have told me they won't rotate the tires because the better tires are already in the rear. Shouldn't the tires be rotated anyway so they wear evenly, and shouldn't the best tires be on the front as a tire blown out on the front could be more serious than a blown tire in the back? I understand they may place the better tires on the back due to skidding, but we live in a very warm client with little rain or snow, so the chance of rear-end skidding shouldn't be much of an issue.

As you can see below, we have been replacing our tires on an average yearly cadence.

3/23/2012 Discount Tire 2 tires yk580's sorento $459.96
4/4/2013 Discount Tire 2 tires yk580's sorento $470.91
3/24/2014 Discount Tire 2 tires yk580's sorento $321.06 (these are the bad tires)
6/27/2015 Discount Tire 2 tires prorated 3 and 2 depth yk580's $334.30
9/5/2015 - 2 worn tires at 30k miles (see attached photos)

Discount Tire offered a discount price of about $325-$350 for two new tires, but not sure there isn't a manufacturer defect or the tires weren't balanced right (steering vibration), or the tires weren't rotated to ease the wear on the front tires.

Please don't get me wrong, we like our Discount Tire store, just not sure if we should be getting a warranty replacement on these tires.

Thanks in advance for reading and checking out the photos and for any advice you can offer. Truly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,236 Posts
This reminds me of the issues I had with my company Ford Fusion.Had a set of tires put on at Big-O and they were noisy, went back to get alignment checked the day after, still the same, ..... then after a few thousand miles the wear pattern was odd, back to Big-O and they claim the alignment is good.
I lived with the noise and rapid uneven wear and then got a set of Dunlop's installed at Ford together with alignment and balancing of course, ..... they are quiet and already have more miles than the previous set, with loads of tread left.

I would get the better treads on the front.

You are correct, there's a sign of over pressure - best you look at another method of keeping a check on this.

I suspect its more of a tire pressure issue than camber.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wanted to follow-up with the outcome.

We took the car to have it aligned as recommended by Discount and within 30 minutes Brake Masters called to tell us the car didn't need an alignment and did not charge us. We were given the printouts of our last 3 alignments and I took them to Discount. The discussion with Discount was similar to the previous - I showed him my 3 printouts, mentioned that the camber setting is not available via Kia and asked to speak the manager.

In the end, I never spoke to the manager as we both agreed that since I got 30k out of the tires he would refund 1/2 the cost.

I'll hopefully get the full 60k out of the new tires, but since we're due for an oil change soon I'll ask the dealership to confirm the tires aren't bowing inward for some reason.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
6,843 Posts
Looks like an over inflated set of tires with wear in the center to me also...
Dave

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hello sorento 11 it is obvious from your tyre wear that they have been run over inflated and the Toe IN is very slightly out
Your tyre pressures must have been at 40lbsq inch ore more to give that wear instead of 30-32
Buy a new electronic tyre gauge I use Michelin one never rely on garage settings ( they over inflate rather than check makers recommendations.)
The cambers are set and not adjustable Toe in is only adjustment.
If Toe In not correct steering may not centre and car follows camber or tends to wander power steering is not centred and you end up fighting power steering and causing tyre wear.
There are Toe in specs and the power steering prefer a definite IN figure not neutral. With a centralised steering wheel.
The slight inside edge wear shows you have not enough Toe In
Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Jeff.G
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing