Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2011 V6 LX. Any problem towing a 1400lb V-nose motorcyle trailer with a 900lb bike in it long distances? I know it's rated for 3500lb. but thought I would ask for first hand experiences.

Thanks

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
how many passengers and extra luggage load are going to be on that trip?

you need to add that into the equation

so you are at 2300 lbs + whatever extra

it seems okay so far

just don't expect to get much power or speed once it's fully loaded

the 275 HP from our V6 feels a bit weak at times

when i fully sit 6 adults + big load of luggage for 6 in the trunk, the Sorento feels weak (not enough torque) on the highway to pick up speed

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
The "weakness" is that it doesn't develop peak torque until higher up in the power band. That's one of the reasons I'd much prefer the 2.0L turbo in this application. The torque comes on much faster and gives better drivability (along with increased gas mileage if you stay off the boost).

To the first poster, yeah that seems like an easy load to tow.

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX AWD V6 5 Pass, 2001 BMW 740 iL
21 Posts
I tow with mine all the time. Just don't get in a hurry and be prepared to shift manually at times - you will be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I should be okay. There will only be 2 adults and maybe 100lbs. of gear.

I haven't picked it up yet (tonight). I did a lot of looking around and researching different smaller SUV's and this one looks to be a pretty decent pick. I liked it enough after looking at others I was prepared to go all out and get a 2013 with lots of bells and whistles but my wife really liked this one and suggested we go used and if we really like it trade up in a year or so.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
you'll enjoy it, the SUV is definitely by far the best bang for the buck, it took me a year to personally review all the available SUV from all the different brands in my area, before my final purchase last month

I was waiting for the new 7 seater Santa Fe (Hyundai) but that one is not out until next year

but i needed the new vehicle immediately, so i settle for our 7 seater Sorento SX 2013, and it's one of the best purchases ever

the Gas mileage is pretty decent for a SUV, it's not great like the Toyota Highlander, but it's not a gas guzzle like a Ford or Chevy

after you drive it for 2 weeks you'll get the hang of it

1st gear is great
2nd gear is weak
3rd to 6th gear they all work as you'll expect

it'll be nice if we can reprogram the 2nd gear shifting ratios

it jumps to gear too quickly if you use it in Automatic Economic Mode (D)

if you drive it in the manual shift, at least you can compensate for the emptiness of gear 2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts