Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage and 2009 Kia Optima
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Kia Sportage that has been a maintenance nightmare since day one. The new problem I am having is the drivers air conditioned seat barely cools down at all...the seat also gets very loud when the feature is on and has a vibration to it (almost kind of feels like your stomach is upset when sitting on it when in park) The dealership tells me thats how it is/works...but I have nothing to compare it too. Does anyone have this feature and its the same way? Or does yours actually work?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, ours make a fan-blade whirring noise while not blowing that much noticeable air. I understand you have to have the interior pretty cool in order for it to make a difference. Personally, I think it's more a gimmick unlike the seat heaters which work well.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
I have a 2011 Kia Sportage that has been a maintenance nightmare since day one. The new problem I am having is the drivers air conditioned seat barely cools down at all...the seat also gets very loud when the feature is on and has a vibration to it (almost kind of feels like your stomach is upset when sitting on it when in park) The dealership tells me thats how it is/works...but I have nothing to compare it too. Does anyone have this feature and its the same way? Or does yours actually work?
I haven't noticed a vibration in mine.

·
Registered
557 Posts
There's other threads describing the feature as a fan that moves air through the seat. If the floor AC vent is on, it's supposed to work better.

AFAIK, the only moving part is the fan. Vibration sounds like it's unbalanced. You'd probably hear a failing bearing. Fans are cheap. Kia can install a new fan. If they insist it's always like that, try a car in the showroom.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2011 EX luxury
18 Posts
No noise or vibrations when I use mine.

I would definitely have the dealer show you this 'normal' feature on another car in their lot.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
466 Posts
I can't hear my fan while driving, never really listened for it but it isn't loud enough that it's obvious. I certainly can't feel vibration from it!

The cooled seat moves just enough air that when sitting in it you feel like your back is sweating or something. Kind of an odd feeling but it does work.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
And its quite unhealthy,comfortable as it is. It helps to blow cold air towards your feet and seat.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Take it to another dealer, that isn't normal. I can't hear mine at all or feel it.

·
Registered
600RWHP HSV MALOO /SPORTARGE platinum TD
73 Posts
ours doesent make any noise ,or vibrate ??
it does make your bum to cold though if you leave it on for a long time
we use the seat heaters all the time even in 30deg c days with the air on 22c
its so nice and warm on your back like a hot water bottle on a long trip

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
+1 orange kia.

We use the heaters on trips to keep our backs comfortable. The air cooled driver's seat, as mentioned above, works best with the air-cond blowing cool air. Odd sensation and I'm not convinced it has any real benefits but will try it out again if/when the weather warms up enough down here.
To best of my knowledge NO noise, vibartion or other problems with it.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
144 Posts
The cooled seat works well for me, it is nice to cool down a hot car seat quickly in AZ. I can't hear the fan operate at all and there is no vibration. As others have said you likely just have a bad fan which should be a very easy fix for the dealer.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage and 2009 Kia Optima
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the imput, I work down the street from a Kia dealership that is awful..they never acknowledge any of the problems that I have been having so I go to the next closest dealership about 30 minutes away where they have been fixing each thing. I guess I will take it up there and ask about the seat noise and how it does not work. Such a pain because I need to bring it up for them to diagnose the problem then bring it back for them to fix it.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,772 Posts
The cooled seat works well for me, it is nice to cool down a hot car seat quickly in AZ. I can't hear the fan operate at all and there is no vibration. As others have said you likely just have a bad fan which should be a very easy fix for the dealer.
+1...you can really feel it if you are a little sweaty.......

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
To best of my knowledge NO noise, vibration or other problems with it.
I'm getting tired of seeing these threads, "My Kia's XYZ is screeching/rumbling/exploding/tripping, but the dealer says it's normal." Kia is doing a fantastic job of making cars that can compete with the highend, but they have to tune quality-control, and de-certify some dealerships. I'd have expected 'Is normal, yes." from my local Lada dealership.

Fans fail all the time in all car brands. They're cheap. Don't lie to the customer, just change them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts