Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Kia Soul Trailer Hitch install "tricks" for the "driveway mechanic"

;) I ordered the Curt 11110 trailer hitch combo for 2011 Soul .. includes receiver, wiring, hitch ball from Amazon .. Amazon.com: Curt 11110-56023-40001 Trailer Hitch and Tow Package: Automotive I also installed it by myself in my driveway.... I had to use a few err "tricks". The way I did it was put the rear of car up on ramps.. removed wheel liners, did not take off wheels etc... The problem I had was holding the hitch up in the air long enough to get the bolts started... So a used a short step stool (2 step) turned sideways on the driver side under the car next to the ramp for support & put one end of the hitch so that then I was able to lift the opposite end up and get the bolts started... Another problem was that the bolt holes were slightly off alignment just enough that they would have started crossthreaded so I used a furniture clamp in reverse (pushed between the rear axle and trailer bar to force it forward to line up the holes) .. Necessity is father of invention, they say.. And yes I am 60 years old, laying on my back in the driveway, in the rain at 85% humidity.. what a fool huh??... The Curt hitch is well made... Would order again.... Now does anyone know the easiest way to get a hotwire from the battery to the rear for the hitch light kit ??? or is there one close by?? :huh:

·
Registered
2012 Soul+ ....It's the baby of the fleet.
56 Posts
Wiring

If you bought the Soul specific wiring kit, all of the connections are at the tail lights. There is no need to run wires from anywhere else. The converter box is in the wiring.
There are three screws under the hatch for each light. That's all you need to remove to install the wiring.
I believe the draw-tite number is 118431. Don't hold me to that, since I don't have it here at my desk. There are other brands, but they are all plug-n-play.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thumbsup: Thanks RV-Rick for the reply... The wiring harness I bought was custom fit and supplied with the Curt hitch package from Amazon same as below...

T Connector Wiring Harness - By Curt Mfg

Step 6 of the instruction sheet tells me to run a wire to the battery thats it so I am wondering the best/ easiest way to do this ... I'm open for ideas..

English
1. Open the rear hatch and remove the vehicles
taillight assemblies by removing three screws
holding each in place.
2. On the drivers side pull out on taillight assembly
and locate the vehicles taillight wiring harness. The
harness will have connectors similar to those on
the T-connectors harness. Separate the
connectors being sure not to damage the locking
tabs. Insert the T-connector end with the yellow
wire in-between the separated connectors. Make
sure the connectors are fully inserted with locking
tabs in place.
3. Route the T-connector end and the 4-flat down
through the opening under the taillight. Under
the vehicle route the green wire along the
backside of the bumper to the passenger side and
up through the opening. Repeat step 2 on the
passenger side using the green wire.
4. Locate a suitable grounding point near the
connector such as an existing screw with nut in the
vehicle’s frame or drill a 3/32” hole and secure
white wire using eyelet and screw provided.
5. Adhere the black converter box to the frame of
the car using the double-sided tape provided.
Secure any loose parts of the T-connector with the
cable ties provided.
6. Route the black power wire from the battery as
shown on the CME-PCL-INS sheet included.
7.Route the 4-flat to the center of the vehicle and
secure in a convenient out of the way location.
Secure any loose wires with the cable ties
provided. :wacko:

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's interesting. The other unit I was talking about doesn't say anything about a battery wire. This is the one many on KSF have used.
The installation instructions are below.

http://www.towready.com/content/downloads/installation/N118431.pdf

I guess fifferent brands handle the wiring differently. I haven't had occasion to need direct battery current to the rear, so can't help much there.

One other point: I would use some cable ties in addition to the double-stick tape to hold the converter on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kia Curt trailer wiring

Thanks all... I started the wiring of my hitch tonight after work.... Everything went smooth except trying to run that blasted hotwire.......
I first came off the battery and began to route it went underneath the car but I could not find any places along the under body to secure the wire so I decided to run it inside the car... I came through the firewall along the floor carefully hiding the wire.. I made it to the rear passenger seat now I just need to get that wire to the rear lights.... I hooked up everything except the hotwire and ground wire .... I am begining to wonder if the trailer lights will work without the hotwire or ground connection.... my taillights do..
:eek: one trick I found was that if you remove the six screws that hold the top of the rear
bumper and could pull it out far enough to get the wire behind it.... this eliminated crawling under the car to route wire across to the opposite light.

·
Registered
Soul Plus 2012
49 Posts
hotwire

hi my auto elec said to run a hot wire and relay because the wiring is very thin
and is losing to much voltage. another first in poor manufacturing? :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So will the Curt trailer lights work without a hotwire hookup on a "temp" basis...?? If I needed to make a run to pick up a loaner trailer?? Whats the best way to test the electrical connections ??

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would definitely make sure you connect a ground. As to the battery wire; if you are using a trailer with only tail lights and not a bunch of other running lights,you will probably be OK. This is my opinion.
That being said, it's up to you, since I can't be responsible for anything you do.
The only time I have ever run power directly from the battery on a vehicle is the times I was using electric brakes. Of course we are talking trailers in the 4K lb range. Definitely not something I would attempt with my Soul.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing. The hot wire is for electric brakes. You should be able to run turn signals brake and park lights off the existing harness. Converting your trailer to LED tailights would reduce the load even further....
You can get one of those $5 trailer test light plugs that test your connections at Autozone. Walmart, Orielly's, etc. The green LED's light to indicate turn/park/stop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So will the Curt trailer lights work without a hotwire hookup on a "temp" basis...?? If I needed to make a run to pick up a loaner trailer?? Whats the best way to test the electrical connections ??
If you ever look back here to this forum, did you finish this install? I've installed Curt T-Connect Wiring Harness, part # 56023, connected as directed, ran the hot wire from the battery, I get 12 volts to all the pins in the 4pin connector but the tail lights do not work when I have the converter connected. If I disconnect the converter, my tail lights work. I'm wondering if I just have a bad converter since there's just not much to this process?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you ever look back here to this forum, did you finish this install? I've installed Curt T-Connect Wiring Harness, part # 56023, connected as directed, ran the hot wire from the battery, I get 12 volts to all the pins in the 4pin connector but the tail lights do not work when I have the converter connected. If I disconnect the converter, my tail lights work. I'm wondering if I just have a bad converter since there's just not much to this process?
Nevermind. I spoke to Curt tech support and even though several websites, including their own, claim this part works on the 2012 Soul, it doesn't really. There's an issue on the car side that they haven't figured out yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys you are all heading in the right direction. You do need to wire to the Battery . That Black Power wire you are talking about should of come with a fuse . When installing it disconnect the negative battery terminal and attach ring connector to the positive and put the fuse in when everything else is done. When wiring the T connector to the Tail lights it is sometimes easier and cleaner to remove the threshold on top of the bumper to run that green wire from the drivers side to the passengers side . You will have to loosen the body panels in the cargo area. this will keep everything out of the way. When running that power wire under the car try an fish it through holes under the car to the back . The tricky part is feeding it over the back wheel keep it away from moving parts and the Exhaust.( NO KIDDING) I hope this helps and the weather is not crazy like you were saying in your first post.
Eddie C

1 - 13 of 13 Posts