Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 with the push button start. This morning I was trying to start the car at home and it would not start. I pushed the button and you can hear it click to engage but that was it. I know about the by pass system to start the Kia and tried that as well, but still would not start. I have had to use the by pass several times in the past and it would always work. I am going to leave the car in the garage and call Kia Customer Service Monday morning to get it towed to the dealer. I don't want to get it towed now just to leave it on the lot until Monday. I will keep it in the garage.

Any Idea what it could be so I have some information in hand when I talk with the dealer?

By the way, I have 35,500 miles on the Sorento with no previous problems. Always serviced by the dealer I bougt the car from.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
A number of other folks have been posting about similar problems and it seems to be the brake switch that's failing. Easy fix, but certainly annoying.

Best,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input and maybe that is the problems. However, when I use the by pass start feature, this should go around the brake switch and start. I have done this several times and it had always workded in the past. Not this time, it still will not start. I am thinking it may be something with the starter.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento I4 FWD 6Spd, 2005 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6Spd
118 Posts
Check the car's battery. I have had a new one fail in less than a year.

·
Registered
Sorento Lx 2011 2 wd V-6
283 Posts
Thanks for the input and maybe that is the problems. However, when I use the by pass start feature, this should go around the brake switch and start. I have done this several times and it had always workded in the past. Not this time, it still will not start. I am thinking it may be something with the starter.
I know that if the fuse protecting the brake lights is burnt the car wont start. This fuse is in the motor compartment.

When you speak of the pass start , do you mean the 10 seconds push ,
without even applying the brakes ?

Have you tried to press the interlock switch , you reach it by removing
the small square cap in front of the tranny lever .

Good luck ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It shouldn't be the battery because 20min before it would not start the car started fine when I backed it out of the garage to sweep the floor.

Yes, the by pass I was referring to is the press the button once and release and press and hold for 10-20 sec to start the car.

I have not checked the fuse for the brake lights. I will check to see if the brake lights work.

I know where the tab is for the interlock switch for the tranny. What is the procedure to use this to start the car? I have no idea.

Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The brake lights work, so nothing should be wrong with the fuse.

I pulled the tab off for the transmission and moved the shifter from park to neutral and back to park. Still would not start. Tried to start with the shifter in neutral, still no go.

I am thinking I may have a starter problem. Either a bad starter or bad connection to the starter. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Sorento Lx 2011 2 wd V-6
283 Posts
The brake lights work, so nothing should be wrong with the fuse.

I pulled the tab off for the transmission and moved the shifter from park to neutral and back to park. Still would not start. Tried to start with the shifter in neutral, still no go.

I am thinking I may have a starter problem. Either a bad starter or bad connection to the starter. Any thoughts?
I see you know what the interlock does ...

Best of luck ....then you need the dealer's opinion :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer will be contacted first thing in the Morning to come and tow it in and give me a prognosis. I will update on what the Dealer finds out to be the problems and what the fix will be.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
The dealer will be contacted first thing in the Morning to come and tow it in and give me a prognosis. I will update on what the Dealer finds out to be the problems and what the fix will be.
Best of luck! I'll be curious to see if it's the (in)famous brake switch.

Best,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

Got the Sorento towed to the dealer this morning and they said the battery was toast. They couldn't even get the battery to take a charge. Very strange. 20 min before the car would not start, I started it and it fired right up. They are replacing the battery and going to put a new brake switch because I was having intermediate problems with it starting and having to use the bypass start procedure. They said it would be ready by 5:00, but I said to take their time and make sure everything is working correctly and I will pick up sometime tomorrow.

Everything covered by warranty and have been satisfied with their service from the roadside assistance through the dealer.

·
Registered
2012 EX V6 Luxury Sorento - Dark Cherry
45 Posts
About once a week I have my 2012 Sorento V6 Luxury not start when I get in the vehicle. When that happens I re-unlock my doors and it seems to start working then. I brought it up to the dealership and they acted as if I was making that up as they've never heard of such a thing in all the years of them being in business. To hell with me for saying something to them I guess.

·
Registered
2011 XM Sorento EX AWD V6
267 Posts
Bard...... glad it's all working out for you. Keep the faith. Sorentos are friends.... not food.

Please take a minute to complete your profile with where you are and what you drive. It helps the rest of us fools answer (or try to) your questions easier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our Sorento would not start. AAA jumped it and it started fine. Drove it 25 miles to dealership; they replaced the brake light switch. Wife picked it up and it died about 500 ft from the dealership. They jumped it, it died in about 20 ft. Ended up replacing the battery. It's been running fine for a day now. Not confident.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX Limited and Preferred Package
47 Posts
Mine wouldn't restart after a quick trip to the office suppl store yesterday. Fortunately it was only 108 with the heat index so I could get ahead on my weightloss program.

• Called dealer and did all the known "tricks" to make the vehicle start. No Joy.
  • Called 800-Kia and they sent flatbed to tow me to dealership. He even tried to jump it off - No Joy.
  • Left it at dealer and took Forte loaner, crap this car is circus clown tiny.
  • Called dealer and they suspect battery. I told them that was fine but go ahead and look at Brake switch also as battery was fine for the hours drive in traffic prior to stop.
We shall see. Hope to get it back today.

ETA:

Delaer called, it was a case of the "wire fell off of the starter".... Yeah. That makes it ALL peachy. WTF was going on that wires came loose/fell off the starter? Anyway, it's fixed and have to leave soon to get it and return the Forte. Battery was fine as well.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX
1 Posts
Sorento not starting

I have a 2011 Sorento that I bought new 27 months ago. About a month ago I would not start, did not even recognize the fob (keyless version). I was not there so my wife and some friends messed with it for about an hour and it started. No explanation, just started. I thought it would be the fob battery so changed both of them the next day. About six days later, same thing, wife was shopping about 20 miles from home and Sorento not recognizing the fob (no lights on dash, no door locks working, no nothing!!! Tow truck called and I drove down to get my wife, and it took about 30-40 minutes to get there and I tried to start it and started right up. Drove directly to dealership and next day it was diagnosed as the battery (car not fob). Now keep in mind, as mentioned before I purchased 27 months ago...well the battery has a 26 month warranty. So $190 later I drive out of the dealership. So a week later to the day, guess what happened at 10 o'clock at night. You got it, same thing. Fob not being recognized and no start. Tow truck and friend picking up wife, daughter and me. Dealership had Sorento for almost a week when a recall came out about a park switch bracket, so that was replaced. We were good for about 2 weeks and the nightmare returned. Been in the dealership for almost a week now and got a call yesterday that they have no idea but a "case has been opened". I guess to go along with the case of a$$ I now have. Anyone else. Oh, they say it is not the brake light switch, been checked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts