Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
I call shenanigans. There are multiple fail safes built in to prevent "unintended acceleration" like Toyota had issues with.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
If I floor my accelerator and hit the brakes, my engine will call it quits and come to an idle.

If you can't figure out that all you have to do is put the car in neutral or turn the key off (hold the button for 3 seconds if push button igtn) to stop an out of control car, then you shouldn't have a drivers license.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX v6
7 Posts
I had this problem with a caravan was lucky enough that the brakes would work. This being said I was never going over 45 and coming to a stop light when it would happen. There were a few times that the the van tried to accelerate against the brakes. Happened to my husband as well. Dodge replaced something in the accelerator three times before the problem went away. Don't know they might have tried the three second rule too. I'd do know that throwing the key out the window would not work, the car will not turn off until you shut it off, once you shut it off with the fob out of distance it will not start again.
Saying the lady should not be driving is sad after seeing the video I would say her driving skills are better then 75% of the people out there. Might I add she was on her cell phone while this occurred, hope she had the bluetooth.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8, Saab 9-5, 2012 Sorento SX
44 Posts
It's an odd case. There is now some video of the incident available on the net. (See below.) I was puzzled by the incident, as well, since it seems very very unlikely but there is a clue in the video interview with the driver that suggests what might have taken place.

Toward the end of the video clip she says that the highway patrol advised her to "lift up" the throttle and slam on the brake. This brought the car to a stop. My guess is that some sort of physical problem existed with the gas pedal that kept it depressed with the foot off the pedal and that it required her to "lift up" the pedal to cut the throttle. A floor mat out of position, perhaps?

All in all, the whole incident raises more questions. How did she "lift up" the pedal while traveling at 120 mph? What does it say about the stability of the Sorento that the car was able to travel 60 miles over highway and median strips at very high speed without crashing?

Unlike the numerous reports of unintended acceleration several years ago, this doesn't seem to be a case of driver panic. And it is, after all, pretty well documented with police video. Nor does it look like a scam from a highly skilled driver looking for a lawsuit payday.

KIA says they can't duplicate the problem. (Not surprisingly) But it will be interesting to see if a close examination of the vehicle in question can lead to answers.

Troopers chase SUV with stuck accelerator | Local News - KCCI Home

·
Registered
44 Posts
Saying the lady should not be driving is sad after seeing the video I would say her driving skills are better then 75% of the people out there. Might I add she was on her cell phone while this occurred, hope she had the bluetooth.
The interview with the lady cited in the post above doesn't suggest she's an amateur grand prix driver but from the video of the incident, I'd say either she's more skilled than about 99% of the drivers out there and/or the Sorento is remarkably stable at high speed for a CUV.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
The interview with the lady cited in the post above doesn't suggest she's an amateur grand prix driver but from the video of the incident, I'd say either she's more skilled than about 99% of the drivers out there and/or the Sorento is remarkably stable at high speed for a CUV.
Oh, the Sorento is very stable at high speed.
Trust me. :D

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
679 Posts
It looks fishy to me, but she sounded genuine and sincere.

At the end of the video when she got out, it looked like it was still in gear as it was inching forward. The police went in and then ??? stopped it? took it out of gear? She should have been able to do that, but she was probably very distraught.

I wonder why it wouldn't go into neutral? It sounded like that was tried.

Other incidents that may be similar to this one were because of something physically holding the accelerator down, like the carpets/mats.

It would be interesting to know how this started. Did a police officer see her speeding or did the police join in from a call she made to 911...I think they said a 911 call? Was it a slow increase or an immediate max accelerator scenario? She said she had the parking brake on all the way. I wonder if the brakes were smoking...you'd think they would catch fire...they would have immediately started smoking when the car stopped. I've seen this happen on tractor trailers at a previous job. Didn't see brake lights on at any time either...only at the end when she got out of the car. Hmmmm, why did the brakes work this time...was the parking brake still on?

Another thing came to mind. For the car to get to that speed, 120 miler per hour or 200 km/h, then you would pretty much have to be flooring the accelerator. I wonder if the Sorento did that on it's own. On the highway going the speed limit, I barely touch the accelerator...nowhere near flooring it to travel at constant 100 km/h.

Oh well, I'm glad everyone's safe and leave it to others to figure out what happened.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Now that I see the video...I can almost guarantee that she had the shifter in Manual mode. You can put these Sorento's in Neutral at any speed. Like I mentioned earlier, If you put your foot on the brake, the engine cuts power down to an idle. If she had the shifter in manual mode she could have easily gotten confused when trying to put it in neutral.

I just find it so fishy at the end of the video that the officer just simply jumps in the thing and the brake works all of the sudden. If she had the emergency brake on all the way those brakes would have been smoking like crazy.

I think its a user-fault.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Now that I see the video...I can almost guarantee that she had the shifter in Manual mode. You can put these Sorento's in Neutral at any speed. Like I mentioned earlier, If you put your foot on the brake, the engine cuts power down to an idle. If she had the shifter in manual mode she could have easily gotten confused when trying to put it in neutral.

I just find it so fishy at the end of the video that the officer just simply jumps in the thing and the brake works all of the sudden. If she had the emergency brake on all the way those brakes would have been smoking like crazy.

I think its a user-fault.
Your reference to manual mode may, I think, be correct. It doesn't explain the entire episode by any means but it may explain why she was unable to shift to neutral. And unless a 911 operator were familiar with the shiftgate on the Sorento, it's doubtful she would have been advised to move the shift to the right before trying to move it to neutral.

As for the brakes, I'm inclined to think that they had already given up all the smoke they were going to give. Keep in mind that she had been driving at high speed for 60 miles trying to stop. And while it's not perfect evidence, the highway patrol did say the brakes were burned up when she finally stopped.

I'm still inclined to think that a physical pressure on the gas pedal was involved or the linkage between the pedal and the throttle was faulty. The evidence for this is cited above where the driver said she was told to "pull up" on the pedal and the car eventually stopped.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I smell something fishy.
Awful calm during the phone call.
Didn't even hit a cone.
Smiling and still on the phone when the police pulled her out from the car.
Post event TV interviews show that she likes to talk.

I aint sayin nuthin..... ;);):rolleyes::rolleyes: just thinkin out loud.
Münchausen syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actually, if you listen to the 911 tapes, she's hardly "calm." And her behavior when she got out of the car is obviously consistent with relief at being alive. She's still on the phone with 911 but stumbles and embraces the HP officer.

·
Registered
2011 Titanium Sorento SX - 39,000 miles since 03/2011
106 Posts
Wow.

I definitely think she was genuinely upset and could not stop the car. I don't know many people who would go 120mph barreling toward two 18 wheeler trucks.

I would hope Kia contacts her and gives her the purchase price back. I certainly wouldn't want to drive a Kia again if this happened to me. Regardless of isolated problems, etc. QC should have picked up this type of thing, especially after the Toyota incidents.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento, 2000 Boxster, 2002 Pontiac
6 Posts
Actually, if you listen to the 911 tapes, she's hardly "calm." And her behavior when she got out of the car is obviously consistent with relief at being alive. She's still on the phone with 911 but stumbles and embraces the HP officer.
I respect your interpretation of the incident.
However as soon as I heard this, something didn't seem right.
I remembered this story- Toyota hybrid runaway story a hoax? - Washington Times

·
Registered
44 Posts
I respect your interpretation of the incident.
However as soon as I heard this, something didn't seem right.
I remembered this story- Toyota hybrid runaway story a hoax? - Washington Times
Believe me, I'm not prone to easy acceptance of "unintended acceleration" stories. In fact, I strongly suspect that almost all are actually cases where a driver slams on the gas pedal rather than the brake. And it is, of course, possible that the lady in Missouri was trying a scam similar to the one in the story you cited.

But if that was the case I have to wonder just how loony she would have had to be to try it in any SUV where high speed handling is not, after all, a strong suit. As noted above, the one fact that is indisputable, I think, is just how well the Sorento handled going off and on pavement multiple times. That's pretty amazing.

I think the theory that she had the transmission in manual mode, suggested above, may well have prevented her from shifting the car into neutral. But I still don't understand her comment in the interview that she "lifted up" the accelerator pedal to finally stop the car. As noted in the story you cited, that's a pretty acrobatic trick, especially at 100mph.

In any event, if it's a scam or clearly the result of driver error, I suspect that the story will come out fairly quickly. It's common for initial news stories to take the "facts" at face value, but both KIA and the Missouri Highway Patrol have a strong vested interest in uncovering the real facts. I'd be surprised if it remains a mystery for very long.

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
This model has been out for how long?...going on three years?....I'm not saying that this is a hoax yet, but she managed to get on the Today show pretty fast...KIA liability-wise cannot refund her money it'll create copycats if they do...the best they can do is to try to recreate the incident and keep their eyes and ears open for any recurring incidents...

Two other car companies come to mind...the Audi 5000 unintended acceleration incident.
Toyota Gas Pedal and floor mat...

But has anyone seen any other similar incidents on forums..at all?

I remain suspicious...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think it's especially productive to limit the possibilities to (a) a failure of the Sorento (as the media assumes) or (b) a "hoax" or user panic. I suspect that the answer lies somewhere between those two possibilities.

We've had our Sorento for only a couple of weeks and my wife, though a very good driver, is still getting accustomed to it. We went for a drive on Sunday so she could get better acquainted with its features. A couple of points stood out in that experience.

First, although our Saab also has a manual transmission mode, activating it and using it is different from the Sorento. The manual mode is beneath, not to the left of the Drive mode and the gears are selected with paddle shifters. Even when the vehicle is in "M", it takes only a nudge to put it back into drive and from there into "N". My wife commented on the difference. I think it's very likely that the Sorento driver had the vehicle in Manual mode. If so, and assuming that she doesn't use that mode often or at all, she may have panicked when she could not move the shifter to Neutral.

Second, at one point in our drive we came to a stop. My wife understood that the Sorento's keyless ignition required her to push the start/stop button, unlike our previous cars. But when she attempted to turn off the car, she pushed the climate control button rather than the start/stop button. She turned to me with a puzzled expression and I noted what she'd done. (She won't do it again. :) )

I note these points only to suggest that the incident may well have been a combination of driver error and (possibly) a problem with the throttle mechanism on the Sorento (or a physical obstruction with the gas and/or brake pedals.) This doesn't necessarily add up to a "hoax."

I've been thinking about a scenario that seems to fit the "known" facts (at least from news reports.)

() Some object such as one of those stainless steel tall coffee mugs falls onto the floor of the Sorento and becomes wedged beneath the brake pedal and above the throttle pedal. The driver doesn't realize it and cannot see the obstruction. (It's DARK down there.)

() Pushing the brake doesn't engage it but instead pushes the throttle. The harder she pushes the brake, the greater the pressure on the throttle.

() She tries to put the car into neutral but cannot do so because it is in manual mode.

() She tries to push the start/stop button but stabs the large climate control button instead. All the while she is pushing the brake (and unintentionally accelerating).

It's easy to second guess what the driver should have done to deal with the situation but the fact that she did an excellent job of steering the car and talking to the 911 operator suggests she was otherwise occupied.

In short, one doesn't have to believe the entire incident was either a catastrophic failure on the part of the Sorento or a deliberate "hoax" on the part of the driver. It's entirely possible (indeed likely) that it was a rare combination of factors that led to the incident.

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
jsh1120, -Very good and well thought out theories..

It's so unfortunate that in this day and age of instantaneous Internet "reporting" that this so far isolated incident might give the Sorento line and KIA as a whole a negative impression, not to mention her appearance on the Today show...

We'll soon see if this creates a minor ripple or an ongoing event...

·
Registered
44 Posts
BobBoston,

I work in the software industry where bizarre combinations of user errors and software glitches can lead to very puzzling outcomes. Thankfully, none of the issues I encounter is life threatening.

I know nothing about the embedded electronics on the Sorento but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a throttle problem. However, a failure on the part of both the brakes AND the throttle seems very unlikely. Especially since "lifting up" the throttle and slamming on the brakes eventually did stop the car. I'm betting on a physical obstruction that eventually was "un-wedged."

I do think, though, that the design of the shift gate on the Sorento is inferior to that on some other vehicles such as my Saab. Manual mode on most of these vehicles is more a gimmick to suggest "sportiness" than a truly useful feature that many drivers use. The fact that the Sorento design (shared by many other manufacturers) prevents the driver from moving to "D" and "N" without first moving the shift lever to the right can be confusing to someone who doesn't understand the functionality.

Of course, those of us who have clung to manual transmissions all these years would have no problem with the design but we're a small and aging minority.

As far as the news media is concerned, I agree of course that the immediate assumption that a driver bears no responsibility in situations like this is ridiculous. Unfortunately, television "news" is largely determined by captivating footage of danger and catastrophe. Seldom by in-depth analysis.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts