Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have 2011 sorento 2WD. several brake related dash warning lights. no codes found. dealer says rear ABS wheel speed sensor. removed sensor plug measured 2100ohms on sensor. can't see how to remove sensor to replace. any ideas?

·
Registered
2011 Sorento FWD v6
33 Posts
bobbym,

Let me give you some actual advice on the subject as I am currently going through the same exact issue as you. My wife's 2011 2WD began having the ABS, traction control, downhill assist lights come and go. I tried the common fix (brake light switch replacement) 2 times. They are only $15 and very easy to replace. Finally, I decided to dig in a little deeper into the ABS system. Since my vehicle was never flagging any codes, I ohmed through all 4 ABS sensors at their connections. Both front sensors were equal (if I recall the numbers read around 650 ohms). I went to the rear sensors, disconnected the plug (pull the metal retainer off and plug pulls off easily). I ohmed through both rear sensors (I believe it was around 1450 ohms on the right rear & only 250 ohms on the left rear, but don't quote me on that....call it short term memory loss.....lol).

The dealer will only replace the entire hub assy because the rear sensor is part of the hub assy. It depends on your mechanical skills and willingness to tackle the project. I have ordered the rear ABS sensor from rock Auto for about $85 shipped. I should have it in the next few days and will tackle replacement this weekend. I refuse to believe the entire hub assy has to be replaced every time an ABS sensor goes bad. Why in the world would parts suppliers sell just the sensor?

I will certainly update you when I get the part and work it.

FYI,

My dealer also told me the front sensor is built into the hub assy and they only sell the hub assy and not just the sensor. Funny, once I got to troubleshooting my wife's Sorento, I found that the front sensor is a 3' wire harness with a disconnect plug in the fender well (behind the plastic) and the ABS sensor end is held into the front hub by only 1 10mm bolt. If I had to replace the front sensor, it would take me longer to remove the tire than replace the sensor.......I am so glad I have the mechanical skills to do 99% of my own maintenance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts