Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2011 Kia Sedona, 2011 Kia Soul
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE - I want to preface that I'm not looking for advice on the Wal-Mart thing. That' just for the sake of the rest of the story.

Back in September I went to Wal-Mart for new tires. Normally not a place I'd go, but I'd just left a funeral, my time was short, and they had an opening.

They clearly didn't think that I'd be looking at my wheels any point soon - but, I do my own work and I needed to look at the front brakes. That's when I discovered that three of the lugs on the passenger side had been swapped with shorter swollen lugs.

It wasn't a thing I was able to address quickly, so I spaced these three equally around the hub, and meant to address it in the future.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I was rotating tires and discovered five of the six lug nuts on the rear passenger had also been swapped.

FINE. I ordered lug nuts from Amazon.

Today I went to install, and discovered that they're 19MM. The original ones are 21MM.

Before I order more (and scrutinize what I'm actually ordering) will these be okay?

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
answering my own question, here. Maybe. I think this is correct, with my research.

Mainly, the important thing is that that the size of the lug nut -seat- is the same size as the opening on the rim. That's where all of the force is centered, to hold the rim to the hub. This isn't the only thing, but it's definitely incredibly important.

Later, when I'm feeling better, I'll dig out my digital caliper and compare the size of an OEM lug nut to one of these replacements.

source - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ke-sure-the-outside-diameter-is-right.135561/

· Registered
2017 Rondo LX 2.0L
364 Posts
The cone shaped lugs also ensure the rim runs true, that is why the lugs are secured in star fashion.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cone shaped lugs also ensure the rim runs true, that is why the lugs are secured in star fashion.
The shape is correct. My initial concern was the size of the hex. It's one fewer MM of material on all sides. Not a lot, but...

When I get the chance I'll measure the seat of each.

· Registered
2009 Kia Sedona LX 3.3L V6 AWD
50 Posts
I wouldn't go to walmart for an oil change (or a lube place either), but tires and batteries, never had a problem. However I did have a problem at a Goodyear corporate store cracking my wheel covers and denying it.

· Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
374 Posts
I have different lug nuts on a couple of my wheels also, no issues. I look for factory lug nuts whenever I hit the salvage yards. You do need the factory ones if you run factory wheel covers as the nuts hold the covers on also.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have different lug nuts on a couple of my wheels also, no issues. I look for factory lug nuts whenever I hit the salvage yards. You do need the factory ones if you run factory wheel covers as the nuts hold the covers on also.
what if the seat is the same? Acorn seat, correct ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts