Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Rio LX Base Model
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, hope youre all doing well

I started working on my girlfriends kia, and noticed the low fan does not kick on and have only brought it up to about 98c .
Ive read
Kia fan 1, and Kia Fan 2 before posting, but not quite comprehending.

-Both fans work with max ac on
- tested Relays "Rad Fan, Cond Fan1, Cond Fan 2, and Cond Fan 3" for click's, and continuity, power.
As far as I know 94c or 95c should have the fans kick on for low.
-checked continuity between the fan on the passenger side with relay box, and car chassis ground.
The driver side fan seems to both go to relay box, and not to ground.
-Checked Cond, and rad Fuse
There's a little black unmarked box on the passenger fan, that I tried a continuity test, and there's no resistance
(is this the low speed resistor?, If so Do I need a whole new fan or is there a part number for just the box?)
-Jumped both Rad fan, and Cond Fan 1 and fan's turn on when powered
-Jumped each fan straight to the motor with a fused wire, and they both run

And any other help, would be greatly appreciated as it gets hotter outside.
I dont mind re-doing the tests with some guidance, very well likely I missed something

Thank you

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,404 Posts
Did you do a voltage test at the pins of both fan connectors when the coolant temp was at 98C? If not, that would be a good starting point to diagnose why the fans circuits aren't being powered correctly. Also, I'm not seeing an A/C cond 3 relay in the Alpha II cooling fan wiring diagram. Your 2011 does have that engine, correct?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry not A/c Cond 3, just A/con.
I'm really not too familiar with kia engines. says Cvvt 16v, has two fans.

No just what I wrote is what I have tried. I Also want to add that unplugging the coolant temp switch does turn on both fans.
The switch, and thermostat have been replaced.

Is 98c the temp where the low speed comes on? I will try your suggestion.
Is the fan on the driver side is the low speed, and the one on the passenger is the air conditioning?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I got to test this morning some more, and here are my findings.

Neither Passenger or Driver side fan receive any voltage ran car until 100c.
Turning Defrost or Max ac does turn on fans (used to cool down car before shutting it off)
-Driver side receives around 8.2 volts while Ac/Defrost is on
-Passenger side is around 6.1 volts with Ac/Defrost is on

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
... Is 98c the temp where the low speed comes on? ….
Is the fan on the driver side is the low speed, and the one on the passenger is the air conditioning?...
First off I need to mention that I'm not familiar with your vehicle, and am going strictly by the wiring diagram that's been posted. That's the reason I wanted to make sure that the wiring diagram matches your vehicle, and the pic of the fuse box cover appears to confirm the engine is indeed an Alpha II. I'll also add that very few people are willing to participate in diagnostic testing, so hats off to you for doing so. Unfortunately this particular testing is a bit of a PITA because it takes some time to get it heated up to the required trip point.

Given that you found no voltage on any of the 4 fan connector pins, I would appear that the ECM is not sending ground to the control side of the Radiator Fan Relay, even though the required trip temp has been clearly exceeded. If you're still up for some more testing, I'd want to confirm that theory by doing further voltage testing at that relay. Can you post what numbers are printed on the underside of that relay? They're likely to be 30, 85,86, and 87 but I'd want to confirm that before proceeding any further.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for taking your time to help me with this.

These relays have no numbers printed on them, I've attached a picture of how I've been using them.

Id like to add when I've tested the relays (not the harness) I supplied power to 86, and 85, and tested continuity between 87, and 30.

Rad Fan -
Omron 95224-2d000
Dc12v 20a

Cond Fan 1 -
Omron 95224-2d000
Dc12v 20a

Cond Fan 2
Omron 95225 - 2d000
Dc12v 20/10A

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Ok, you've got the pin diagram, even though there's no numbers on the relay. All of the subsequent testing will be at the fuse box slots, instead of the relay pins. So first do the easy test to confirm there is power coming into the relay, which doesn't require getting the engine hot. Pin slot #30 is probably always hot, and pin slot #85 will be hot with the key at ON. Check to see if you have 12V at those pin slots with key on (again no need to warm it up first).

And while you're there, you can also check to see if there is ground either at pin slot #87 or #86. I wouldn't expect to be finding ground at either of those, with the engine not hot. However, both of those pin slots should have ground if you start the vehicle and turn the A/C on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay here are my findings, which is a little surprising.

Rad Fan -
Pin 30 - 12v key off
Pin 85 - 3.5v Key on
Pin 87 - Gnd with key off and on (key on = ground with some resistance)
Pin 86 - Gnd only with key on

Cond Fan 1
Pin 30 - 12v key off
Pin 85 - 11.19 Key on
Pin 86 - Gnd only with Key on

Cond Fan 2
Pin 30 - 12v key off
Pin 85 - 11.19 key on
Pin 86 - Gnd only with key on

Should I be looking more into Rad Fan pin 85?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Yes, that voltage on Rad fan relay #85 is odd, since its source is the same as the other two relay #85. Finding ground at the other pins is likely to be a result of the engine not running. Try removing all 3 relays, starting the engine, and repeating the same testing with the engine running.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me clarify, I tested for ground on pins 87, and 86 while engine not running, and while running , ac on.
All three relays were removed while engine running, ac on.

I have not however tested Voltage while engine running, I will repeat the testing over again tomorrow engine running.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Ok, good (and expected) to see the grounds with AC on. With AC/defrost off and the engine running (but not fully warmed-up), there should definitely be no grounds, and it will be interesting to see what the Rad fan #85 voltage value is.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Before I try to digest all of those numbers (and spit some of them back up), I need to ask how you are making the tests for ground. Are you connecting one meter lead to the + battery terminal, and then probing the other lead to the relay slot? (with ground indicated by B+ voltage on the meter) Or are you doing something else for the ground testing?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Um. No. I'm kindve lost. I had thought using the - battery terminal and corresponding ground terminal on relay would let me see ground, but I know that hindsight that just tells me if continuity is right.

I'm sorry, I had a massive brain leak. Would a simple test light hooked up to battery plus and probing grounds tell me same thing?

How would you like me to do the test? All 3 relays out or just cond fan 1, and rad fan?
Engine running ac on? Or engine running ac off?

Just disregard my last post. It's gibberish now. *Thunk

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
No big deal, and I should have mentioned it before you started. For this I'd greatly prefer an actual meter voltage reading to a test light. So for voltage testing, connect one meter lead to the (-) battery terminal and probe with the other. The thing that's jumping off the page at me is the low voltage from Rad fan relay pin #85. So for now I'd just be interested in the readings for that relay, with the other 2 also out, engine running. One set of readings for AC/def off, and another one with AC on. Let's see what that brings, and go on from there depending on what the results are.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay I will have the tests for you shortly, I do wana note I think RAD FAN and COND FAN 2 are tied together. I do not get GND on pin #87 without CON FAN 2 in it's socket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RAD FAN AC/DEF OFF
86 - No Gnd
85 - 3.53v
87 - No Gnd
30 - 14.3v

RAD FAN AC ON
86 - Yes AND No (sometimes I get the bat reading when compressor kicks on or off, more often not, No reading, no Gnd)
85 - No voltage
87 - No Gnd
30 - 14.6

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
….. I do wana note I think RAD FAN and COND FAN 2 are tied together.....
Yes for certain all 3 relays are integrally tied together. They wired this in a most unusual manner (to me anyway), and those #85 and #86 readings are definitely not helping me in any way understand what's going on with these circuits.
In your OP you wrote 'Both fans work with max ac on'. Can you put all 3 relays back in and confirm that's still the case? I just cannot understand how the rad fan can be getting power and spinning with those #85 and 86 meter readings because the control side of the relay does not appear to be energized.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Very clear that both fans are spinning, but your video also shows a 20 second delay from the time you flip the switch to 4, to when the fans actually start spinning. So first off, for the #85 voltage test you are setting the AC on the same way (blower to 4), correct? Next, assuming yes for the previous question, have you been waiting 20 seconds or more, to see if any voltage shows up on #85? If not, please try again one more time with the waiting in the test. However, don't run the AC for multiple minutes without the fans, because we don't want to boil the refrigerant away.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts