Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was sitting at the Grocery store yesterday with my Optima off. When I went to start it, I attempted to push the brake in so I could push the button to start the car but the brake would not push in. The brake might have moved a 1/4 inch at best. And no brake = no start.

I eventually got it start by pushing the hell out of the brake pedal. Once the engine started, the brake pedal pushed in normally and braking was normal.

Any ideas on what this could be (and more importantly will my warranty cover it)? I have scheduled an appointment with Kia Service to fix it.

Thank you,
Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today, the brake pushes in normally when parked initially but if I pump the brake a time or two, it becomes stiff again. Have been able to start it each time but the stiffness issue is still there today.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When you continuously pump the brakes when the car is off it builds pressure in the brake system and cannot release because the engine is off. This causes the pedal to feel stiff.

Dont pump the brakes when the car is off. Only press once to start the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Power brake booster

You have aprox two applications of stored energy in your power brake booster, When you are s:)itting in the car with it not running and have your foot on the brake pedal you are bleeding off that energy. Don't put your foot on the brake pedal when not running, until you are ready to start the engine.

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
And you can start the car without pressing the brake pedal by holding the start button for about 20 seconds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff. When it happened the first time, I could not push the brake in on the first attempt.

I didn't know about the 20 second thing, I will try that out and hope it works being as I have been afraid to drive the car for fear of getting stuck somewhere.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
2011 Sportage
96 Posts
Good stuff. When it happened the first time, I could not push the brake in on the first attempt.

I didn't know about the 20 second thing, I will try that out and hope it works being as I have been afraid to drive the car for fear of getting stuck somewhere.

Thanks to all!
Its all in the owner's manual...tells you what to do if your car does not start immediately when you step on the brake..;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out you need to click the button (without the brake pushed in) then click and hold it again for about 10 seconds to start without pushing the brake in.

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
Turns out you need to click the button (without the brake pushed in) then click and hold it again for about 10 seconds to start without pushing the brake in.
Thanks for that clarification, Flow. I should have stated that about the second push in my post above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts