Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 XM Sorento EX AWD V6
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has happened before but is happening with more frequency now. I get in my sorento and push the button and all the lights go on but the car won't start. It's not a keyfob battery issue. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX, 2011 Sportage EX
119 Posts
This is (probably) a known defect in the brake switch. Needs to be replaced.

Go into car, hold button down. As you're holding button down, vigorously pump the brakes until car starts. Drive to Kia and ask them to change faulty brake switch while you wait. It's a 15 min. job.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
This is (probably) a known defect in the brake switch. Needs to be replaced.

Go into car, hold button down. As you're holding button down, vigorously pump the brakes until car starts. Drive to Kia and ask them to change faulty brake switch while you wait. It's a 15 min. job.
You should probably call first, just in case they are busy or out of stock on the switch. I wouldn't just drive in demanding the switch be changed in 15 minutes. That will just tick people off.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MEgolbyte!!! That is what the tow truck driver said was the issue. Said it was rampant in the Hyundai's. I am waiting on the dealer to call ME as they were closed then the tow dropped us off. I want to see what THEY think it is be for I tell them what it really is.

Another great set of answers from this forum!!

Oh.... and the driver suggested turning on the flashers as they override the brake switch somehow turning on the lights and this will work as well.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
very informative topic, will keep this in mind, in case this issue ever surfaces on the 2013 models

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD, 2011 Sportage SX, 2016 Range Rover Sport HSE
124 Posts
Just to inform you that there is a bypass for the brake switch issue (if this is what the problem is). When you get into your car, press and release the start/stop switch once. Then press and hold the start button for about 20+ seconds and the vehicle will start. You don't need to pump the brake just hold the button and it will start. I suggest this as your vehicle may be at home and you can drive it to the dealer and then they can evaluate it for the brake switch issue.

Just some info...

·
Registered
2013 Sorento ex luxury, 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV
82 Posts
If it is a faulty brake switch, does this mean that your brake lights are also out?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
redtr6, no the lights work. It is the module that senses that the brake is pushed in order to allow starting. They fixed it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX GDI AWD Premium
21 Posts
I have been having similar issues with my 2012 EX not starting. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the brake switch. I thought I was all set but then it just happened again the other day. Anyone had it turn out to be a different cause?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had it happen twice. Once this past winter and they said they fixed it, and the week before last. Bring it back in. Could be a faulty module.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX GDI AWD Premium
21 Posts
I had it happen twice. Once this past winter and they said they fixed it, and the week before last. Bring it back in. Could be a faulty module.
So the first time they replaced the brake switch? Is the module you mention a different part?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts