Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I have a 2011 AWD Kia Sportage. For awhile, the car would sometimes just "click" when I pushed to start. Jiggling the shifter would fix it immediately, and the car would start.

Now the car wont start at all. It also will not shift out of park. Everything turns on, and the engine "clicks". I tried holding down the start button for 10 seconds to bypass the brake and see if it would start, it just clicks and "resets" again basically.

A mechanic came by and looked at the car and said he thought it could be the stop lamp switch, and he'd come by to fix it, he rescheduled on me, so I did the following - replaced stop lamp switch (the brake lights work), replaced battery (still had original battery). Car still won't start.

All the dash lights are on, and the downhill assist light specifically is red. The Gear Shifter lights (P, R, N etc) do not show up on the dash at all. The brake pedal is also very stiff.

This car is parked at the end of a super windy driveway that is almost impossible to tow out of! It's also parked facing downward on an incline (not sure if that might have anything to do with it).

Any ideas????

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
536 Posts
might need to replace the downhill controller unit according to this: DBC light is lit up on the dash (red). brake system kia l...

If the DBC red indicator light illuminates, the system has overheated or something is wrong. The DBC will not activate. If the DBC red indicator light illuminates even though the DBC system has been cooled enough have the system checked by an authorized Kia dealer. Kia Sportage: Downhill brake control (DBC) - Brake system - Driving your vehicle - Kia Sportage SL Owners Manual

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX FWD
223 Posts
Hello - I have a 2011 AWD Kia Sportage. For awhile, the car would sometimes just "click" when I pushed to start. Jiggling the shifter would fix it immediately, and the car would start.

Now the car wont start at all. It also will not shift out of park. Everything turns on, and the engine "clicks". I tried holding down the start button for 10 seconds to bypass the brake and see if it would start, it just clicks and "resets" again basically.

A mechanic came by and looked at the car and said he thought it could be the stop lamp switch, and he'd come by to fix it, he rescheduled on me, so I did the following - replaced stop lamp switch (the brake lights work), replaced battery (still had original battery). Car still won't start.

All the dash lights are on, and the downhill assist light specifically is red. The Gear Shifter lights (P, R, N etc) do not show up on the dash at all. The brake pedal is also very stiff.

This car is parked at the end of a super windy driveway that is almost impossible to tow out of! It's also parked facing downward on an incline (not sure if that might have anything to do with it).

Any ideas????
What I think it might be is a neutral safety switch, now days they might call it a gear position switch.
It might only need to be adjusted. If you could get the shifter into Neutral it might very well start.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Any ideas????
I think i have same issue yesterday. How do you fix yours?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,134 Posts
I think i have same issue yesterday. How do you fix yours?
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your Profile/Account Details

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

Kia Forum

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,134 Posts

Any ideas????
How about an update?

You've been back since others have posted comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts