Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A while back I ordered a new thermostat, gasket and o-ring for my 2010 Rio LX (1.6L), but didn't get around to installing them. Yesterday I finally got around to it, as part of a water pump replacement job. But when I tried to use the new gaskets, they didn't look anything like the current one or fit the housing.

The FSM shows 2 bolts for the upper inlet housing and 3 bolts for the lower outlet housing, with the thermostat going into other latter. The gasket I ordered matches the latter and has three bolt holes. But the actual lower housing on my Rio has just 2 bolt holes:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive exhaust

Furthermore the FSM shows a 2 bolt hole gasket for the upper housing but mine had a round o-ring pressed into a circular recess in the engine side of the housing and no gasket.

Was there some change or variation to all this in the 2010 LX model that the FSM doesn't show?

As it was I had no choice but to reuse the current gasket, and decided to keep the current thermostat installed as well because I wasn't sure if the new one, which came with a rubber seal around its edge, would work. For good measure I applied a thin layer of Permatex Water Pump & Thermostat RTV on both sides of the old gasket.

As for the upper housing, I removed the current flat o-ring and replaced it with a round o-ring that I'd also ordered. I torqued both housings down to spec and so far no leaks from either housing. But what's going on here?

As for the A/C tensioner pulley assembly, it consists of several pieces, and I can't figure out how they go back together. In addition to the actual pulley (which I also can't figure out which side faces in), there are 2 fitted plates and a thick round spacer, plus the end nut. Are there any pictures or diagrams showing how it goes back together? The FSM doesn't seem to have any.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
513 Posts
What's FSM? Field Service manual?

Up until November 2008 it had the gaskets you purchased. After that these are the parts. Also the thermostat went to 88 Celsius, the old one prior to Nov 2008 was 82 so not fitting what you purchased could turn out be a good decision. It's stamped on it. Could also be why there is 88 stamped on your housing

Font Electric blue Circle Auto part Electronics accessory

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Cameras & optics
Material property Eyelash Font Circle Audio equipment

Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Cable Automotive lighting

Household hardware Metal Titanium Nut Event

·
Registered
513 Posts
sometimes it pays to use the phone and take images before you take it all apart, saved me a few times.
Font Circle Auto part Parallel Diagram
Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Drawing
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Toy

This is front dust cover 97833
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Font Circle

Then Pulley

Wheel Tire Toy Font Electric blue

Then rear dust cover

Camera lens Font Material property Lens Circle

Then the spacer

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What's FSM? Field Service manual?

Up until November 2008 it had the gaskets you purchased. After that these are the parts. Also the thermostat went to 88 Celsius, the old one prior to Nov 2008 was 82 so not fitting what you purchased could turn out be a good decision. It's stamped on it. Could also be why there is 88 stamped on your housing

View attachment 121915

View attachment 121916 View attachment 121917

View attachment 121918

View attachment 121919
Thanks, and yes, FSM stands for that. But the one I bought a few years back for the 2010 model year, and RockAuto's choices of gaskets, were for the old-style 3 hole housing, so that's what I bought. I have the new thermostat in the car and will check to see which temp it is, but it wasn't the same as the current one so I assume that it's the wrong temp. So I'll have to get the correct one along with a new gasket, and redo everything. It's not that big a job, just some coolant loss. Annoying that there would be this disconnect though. RockAuto usually gets these things right but I'm way past the return or exchange window now. At least these parts aren't expensive and maybe I can find someone who can use the wrong parts I got.

Btw RockAuto only seems to offer 82C ones both before and after 2008. I went as far as 2014 and still 82C. Weird. Also, I don't believe that the housing in my 2010 Rio LX has a recess for the sleeve-like gasket or seal in the photo above, so I should not use it? The current thermostat didn't have a sleeve around it. I can't believe they all got this so wrong.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sometimes it pays to use the phone and take images before you take it all apart, saved me a few times.
View attachment 121920 View attachment 121921 View attachment 121922
This is front dust cover 97833
View attachment 121923

Then Pulley

View attachment 121925

Then rear dust cover

View attachment 121924

Then the spacer
Thanks. I couldn't find the above diagram online but playing around with the pulley in various combinations I eventually found the correct one because it was the only one that made sense. Could have sworn I tried this on the car but the pulley seized when I did. Must have done something wrong. It was cold and late and I just wanted to get everything back on.

It's off the car now but that's ok as it's late fall and way too cold for A/C so I won't miss it till late spring. I'll reinstall it before then though as you do need to run the A/C periodically to keep it in working shape, plus even in winter it's sometimes useful to get rid of condensation on the inside of the windows when starting up the car.

Might as well clean everything up and paint them first before I put it all back on.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know why there's such a disconnect between the above recommended thermostat, gasket and housing and what the FSM, Kia dealers and RockAuto say are the right parts for this car? I don't dispute that there was a changeover in housing and thus gasket style and thermostat temp, but why, over 10 years later, do all these sites not reflect this? Was it only certain models of the 2010 LX 1.6L where this was done? I just want to make sure before I order and install the necessary parts, and this just seems kind of weird.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Habanero64 because there is a chance you could get the wrong part ordering online I would recommend you take everything apart and then buy your parts locally this time.
I chanced it and ordered the above thermostat from Amazon. Got it yesterday and took a look at it. It's the above part, same part # on the box, OEM holoseal sticker, Kia & 88C stamped on the flange. Good price too, $11.50. I'll have to compare it to what's in the car now, but I'm pretty sure it's the right part. I didn't order the gasket because for some reason Amazon's price was over $50 which was just bizarre. I'll get it from a local Kia dealer. I assume they'll have or be able to get it.

But what I still don't understand is why the disconnect between the correct parts and what the FSM and every online parts source I looked at said, e.g. Amazon, RockAuto, auto stores, etc., over 10 years on. I've never seen this before across multiple cars. Perhaps it's a Kia/Hyundai thing. More curious than anything at this point given that I'll likely have the right parts. Weird.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The safest and best way to ensure you identify what's fitted to your vehicle will always be using the OEM catalog and your VIN. Once you have the OEM numbers you can then google away and find them or aftermarket crossovers but even then there's a chance with aftermarket they can get it wrong. I always look for images of the OEM and then compare.

I'm interested to see the content in a FSM. Does it list part numbers or is it repair procedures with imagery? I have what Hyundai and Kia installed with their diagnostic program and with changes not always will it be updated in the images.

If Amazon, RockAuto, auto stores, etc. are reliant on third-party data then if that is wrong they are also going to be wrong. I can't see them investing huge amounts of resources correcting suppliers

Did you contact Rock Auto to let them know you believe there is an error?

The OEM on the other hand needs to be accurate and trackable particularly if a safety issue arises requires a recall of that part number.

I've been tracking part numbers for some years now for all my Hyundais in an effort to find them cheaper internationally than through the dealerships in my country.

I use the catalogs and VINs, can't really go wrong from there.Example below is some of the data pulled from another rio vin.Gives you everythig down to the serials of engine and trans. Handy too when purchasing used parts. I had a wrecker advertise a trans out of a low mileage car, asked for the Vin, got the serial.. When I arrive I could tell it was older made in an earlier year and serial not matched. Most likely higher mileage, walked awa from that deal.

I also used the same VIN on Kia.Parts, it gave the wrong part number for the thermostat. Not sure how their online system is linked but surprised.

This one was good. should work for you too.
I left the VIN in you can change it to yours.

Font Number Symmetry Parallel Document

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The safest and best way to ensure you identify what's fitted to your vehicle will always be using the OEM catalog and your VIN. Once you have the OEM numbers you can then google away and find them or aftermarket crossovers but even then there's a chance with aftermarket they can get it wrong. I always look for images of the OEM and then compare.

I'm interested to see the content in a FSM. Does it list part numbers or is it repair procedures with imagery? I have what Hyundai and Kia installed with their diagnostic program and with changes not always will it be updated in the images.

If Amazon, RockAuto, auto stores, etc. are reliant on third-party data then if that is wrong they are also going to be wrong. I can't see them investing huge amounts of resources correcting suppliers

Did you contact Rock Auto to let them know you believe there is an error?

The OEM on the other hand needs to be accurate and trackable particularly if a safety issue arises requires a recall of that part number.

I've been tracking part numbers for some years now for all my Hyundais in an effort to find them cheaper internationally than through the dealerships in my country.

I use the catalogs and VINs, can't really go wrong from there.Example below is some of the data pulled from another rio vin.Gives you everythig down to the serials of engine and trans. Handy too when purchasing used parts. I had a wrecker advertise a trans out of a low mileage car, asked for the Vin, got the serial.. When I arrive I could tell it was older made in an earlier year and serial not matched. Most likely higher mileage, walked awa from that deal.

I also used the same VIN on Kia.Parts, it gave the wrong part number for the thermostat. Not sure how their online system is linked but surprised.

This one was good. should work for you too.
I left the VIN in you can change it to yours.

View attachment 121991
But how do I obtain the OEM catalog? On my other car I was able to find a very thorough version of it in PDF format, organized much as the FSM is, by systems, subsystems and parts, e.g. Engine/Cooling/Thermostat, and it's proved to be very accurate and reliable, the only exceptions being superceded parts that didn't exist when the catalog was published. I've not found one for the Rio, in either PDF or online form. Is there one that wouldn't cost me a small fortune? I'm planning to do some more work on it and hopefully sell it early next year as I recently restored my other car and won't need this anymore, so it makes no sense to invest too much in a catalog for it.

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is free not good enough? Did you not click on any of those links?

I've given you two sources two sources to try.

Talk about leading a horse to water
Sheesh, take it easy, no need for attitude or sarcasm. The first link was to a Russian site which for obvious reasons I'm leery of. The other one I'd already visited on my own and it gave me the wrong parts, as you can plainly see in the diagram. My 2010 Rio LX has a thermostat housing with 2 bolts, not 3 as in this diagram (which is for a 2011 in any case). So I don't trust these free online "catalogs". They're often wrong. You essentially said so yourself in your initial response to me above which gave the correct housing and gasket parts unlike this site.

And I'm looking for a literal catalog, a PDF of a printed catalog, like the one for my other car that's almost always right. I find those easier to navigate too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts