Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone else has the brake problem I have been having with my 2010 KIA Soul Plus. I have worn out 2 sets of rear brakes and am now, at 115,000 miles, getting ready to replace the front (original) brakes! I expect the techs to find that the rear brakes are pretty worn as well, but still functional.

The brake pedal has always felt a bit "soft", and every now and again, especially as I'm coming off a freeway, braking on the off-ramp, the brakes "catch"--almost like the pedal is going to go to the floor, but it doesn't. I have always felt like I could stop the car, so I've never felt in any particular danger; I have even grown used to this occasional occurrence.

My brother, a "shade tree" mechanic, said I might have a bad Brake Proportioning valve.

What I'd like to know, to get some feedback on, is:

1. Does my 2010 KIA Soul Plus even have a "Brake Proportioning valve"?, and
2. Has any other Soul owner experienced anything like this?

I have seen no recalls or Service Bulletins for any of the above.

Any help would be appreciated!

PiperLarry

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
It's not a common problem. Your soul does not have a prop valve. I would be looking at the rear calipers also look for a pinched brake hose going to the calipers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, cobra259! I'll have the mechanics give the rear brakes a once-over and focus on your suggestions. Just odd that they wouldn't have found something while installing the 2nd set of rear brakes.

Ain't life grand!

The Piper

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hi Larry and welcome to the Kia forums.
Cobra right the rear brakes tend to stick as less work there.
Ensure whe new pads fitted the pistons are pushed all the way back area cleaned and regreased also grease retaining pins.
This is Standard procedure , but in UK Kia garages it does not always happen and some charge Extra for what should be standard procedure .£35 for slash off brake cleaner spot of grease and 5 minutes.

The rear brakes do less work and are engineered to suit so it may be normal to replace rear shortly after front . Check out area and thickness of pad materials front and rear.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Jeff.G
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing