Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Kia Rio LX Automatic makes this weird sound that resembles a howling wind whenever the engine is between 2000-2100 rpm, and it's driving me nuts. I'm wondering if this a normal thing with a 2010 Rio, at least one with lots of miles (mine has over 157k), or indicative of a bad, failing or old part, and in any case what the cause is and if there's anything I can do about it.

For unrelated reasons I've recently replaced the plugs, PCV valve, EVAP Purge valve, air filter, cleaned the idle air control and throttle (using carb cleaner of course), and the air filter box, checked all hoses, clamps, wires and connectors to make sure all were good, and put some Techron and Heet in the tank to remove water and clean the injectors. These mostly solved the issues they were intended to fix (rough idling, car dies after fill-up, misfire codes), and may have decreased the wind howl thing a bit, but it's still there, and annoying as hell (plus also concerning, if it indicates actual problems).

Any idea what this is and how to fix it? I'm guessing that it has something to do with the air intake, throttle, intake or exhaust manifolds, or exhaust, given that it sounds air-related, but that covers a lot of territory and doesn't tell me how to fix it, if possible.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
744 Posts
Any chance you can paste a audio clip of the sound?
Did this just start or was it a gradual increase in noise?
Have you looked under the hood for any obvious issues, like an open air cleaner box?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts