Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio 1.6crdi
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first get in the car and turn ignition on I get no engine mgt light or key light. Turn ignition on and off about 20 times and then I get an eml light but no yellow key light. Turn ignition on and off about 50 times and you get a yellow key light and the car starts.
Changed the antenna ring on ignition and no change.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio 1.4 16v dohc
110 Posts
The key light remain off, or blink in some way? If stay off, the key is not recognized and at 99% is an antenna contact problem. If you disassembly the steering can cover (behind the steering wheel), you can see that the black plastic circle around the key powl is the antenna, with a connector after 15-20 cm of cable. Oftenly the connector, due to oxidation, doesn't have a good contact and the key immobilizer can't recognize the key. So detach it, clean it very well, and check if then works again. If after cleaning works, i reccomend to you anyway to tin the contact of the antenna connector (you can disassembly the concact one by one and tin it). If not, could be the antenna broken. The entire antenna costs around 30€ in Italy.
In my case was the contact (and also at my father's rio). I regenerated the contact (antenna side) with solder and on mine rio, after several years that i made the work, i've demolished the car that the antenna still worked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts