Kia Forum banner

2010 Kia Forte Radio Not Working

54K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  firaskurdi 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I have a 2010 Kia Forte EX and we love it. Except for one thing, the radio is not working, it will not power on. One night my wife and I went to the club and when we were on our way home the radio would not turn on. (My wife tried to blame it on me.) It worked great on the way to the club, up until we shut the car off. I have looked at the fuses and even took it to a local Auto Zone and the guy there said they were good.

You can push the power button (push in volume knob) all you want and it will not turn on. For a while the radio did say "Mecha Error" when you first turned on the car but the radio still worked.

I called the Kia dealership where my wife purchased the car and they told me it was going to be $75 just to get it diagnosed. They told me that over the phone and and my wife in-person when she drove in there. Our car has 40,000 miles on it and we did buy it used. The dealership gave me this long explanation on how the warranty now only covers the powertrain. We did have Sirius activated and working also.

Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance,
Darrin

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello dlewis441...
There are four things that would keep the radio from working,,,
1 Radio fuse
2 Memory fuse (but clock would not work)
3 Loose ground (very little chance of it failing)
4 Bad radio (they do fail)
There currently is on ebay a Forte radio with satellite with buy it now for $85 plus $15 Shipping...or you can check car-part.com for a local salvage yard and price.
They are reasonably easy to replace. Remove the Bezel (trim around the radio and heater controls. Remove the 4~6 bolts holding the radio in (behind the Bezel) slide the radio out. Disconnect the plugs on back (push release tabs on connectors). Plug the replacement back in, put the screws back in, put the bezel back on.
For what you would have to spend on "diagnosing" costs you are 3/4 the way to just replacing it. For sirius radio...contact sirius with the replacement radio's ID and they will switch it while you wait.
Oh... ebay auction # is 370509056071. Just put it in the ebay search window.
Dave

#5 ·
If you're replacing the radio on a 2010 Forte, replace it with a radio from a 2011-2013 Forte instead. You can find them at online junk yards for a reasonable price. The 2011-2013 Forte stereos includes Bluetooth Audio. The 2010 version does not. Size is identical. Bluetooth Audio sounds so much better than using a cable to connect your phone to the stereo.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.