Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

I just bought my first "New" car - a 2010 Kia Forte Koup EX. I'm loving having all of the "modern" functions in a car and it looks pretty hot in blue, I must admit.

I have a few questions to see if my experience is NORMAL or if there is anything I should be concerned about with some aspects of my car.

1) Whenever I turn off my car, it clinks and clicks for a while. Someone told me this is just the parts cooling off but I want to be sure of that.

2) My bluetooth lady says "Transfer Complete" every. single. time. I turn the car on. Is there a way to have it synced without having this?

3) It seems REALLY sluggish sometimes, mainly as I am getting going. I'm not an expert on gears or RPM or whatever, and this is an automatic car, so bear with me... On my commute each day, I pass through two horseshoe turns. I brake to go through them, and then coming out seems sooooo slow. It feels like it struggles going through the first few gears, but once I hit 45mph + it is smooth sailing. I have no problems on the highway whatsoever. What's up with the lower speed?! My nearly 20 year old previous car handled them better.

4) Anything else I should know to look for or be aware of?

Thanks so much guys!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Welcome to the site!!
The ticking is your catalytic converter, (part of your exhaust system) Cooling down, it does get VERY hot.
When your going through the "horseshoe" do you feel the transmission downshift?

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
The transfer complete "annoyance" will go away after a bit. You won't notice her saying that and you will notice when she doesn't say that and realize there is a problem or you forgot your phone (nice reminder if you left it at a restaurant or something)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
It seems REALLY sluggish sometimes, mainly as I am getting going. I'm not an expert on gears or RPM or whatever, and this is an automatic car, so bear with me... On my commute each day, I pass through two horseshoe turns. I brake to go through them, and then coming out seems sooooo slow. It feels like it struggles going through the first few gears, but once I hit 45mph + it is smooth sailing. I have no problems on the highway whatsoever. What's up with the lower speed?! My nearly 20 year old previous car handled them better.
The KIA Forte is not a high performance car, but it shouldn't feel as sluggish as you describe. Does the gearbox change down a gear or two if you depress the accelerator? You can test the correct functioning of the gearbox by doing a brief performance test:

On a suitable piece of highway with the engine warmed up, accelerate from rest to 100 km/h (62 MPH) with the accelerator flat to the floor. The tacho should go to about 5500 RPM in first and second gear, and it should take a little less than 10 seconds.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
It's an annoyance of the 2010 5 speed automatic. Heard many owners complaining about it not shifting fast enough. I am glad I only drive manuals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Wow - thanks guys! This is awesome, I'm really glad I found this forum!

I'm definitely going to try that performance test. I tried paying more attention during the curves this morning on my way to work and I am honestly clueless about if the gear shifted down, but I did feel it try to go back up and struggling.

It seems to get "confused" around 30-40 mph. It kind of kicks down or up after thinking about it, it definitely isn't as fluid as I imagine it should be. This morning it hesitated while I was accelerating on a straightaway and it made me really nervous. What could be causing that? Just the way the car is made or something that may need work?

[I'm also asking this now in all seriousness because it has a warranty from the place I bought it and want them to fix anything before that expires!]

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Is the transmission 5 or 6 speed? I've driven a few 6 speed, and at moderate speeds, you really have to look at the tacho to see what gear you are in (doing a little mental calculation). Unfortunately, the display only indicates that you are in D (for Drive), rather than indicating which gear you are in, so you either "do the math" or count the number of changes.

I'd recommend doing the "performance test", maybe even driving it more vigorously than you have been doing. Do you have a friend who is more familiar with gears etc. who can keep an eye on what's happening while you drive?

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
2010 models came with the 5 speed auto and manual trannys. There are threads talking about the 5 speed auto issues. Better do do a search on them since they have a lot of content already posted concerning it.
If buying a used Forte auto the 2011 + models would be a better choice with their 6 speeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts