Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a check engine light on for a misfire on cylinder 4, for sometime now. I've changed the spark plug twice and the ignition coil twice. That being said the second time I replaced the ignition coil I took it from a known working cylinder plug and switched them. Still the little machine tells me their is a misfire on #4.

I'm looking for advice on what else could be causing the misfire. On every other vehicle I've owned it's been one of the two things I tried replacing.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,312 Posts
No idea why you didn't mention the P0128 in your OP, but fortunately it shows up in the report you included. You need to diagnose and repair whatever is causing that code. But I'm not telling you to just go hang on a new ECTS, or any other part for that matter.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you implying that the Thermostat code has something to do with the misfire on cylinder #4? The reason I didn't mention is that I don't care about it for the time being unless you are saying it does?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,312 Posts
No one except the people who designed and wrote the code knows exactly what happens inside the ECM, and I'm definitely not one of them. However, it's logical to assume that some actions might be taken by the computer, if it isn't getting the data it's expecting to see. So if the engine is running significantly colder than it should be (stuck open thermostat, …), it would seem at least possible for that to cause a ripple effect in the rest of engine management, including something like adding extra fuel to compensate. And likewise if the coolant temp is fine but the sensor is reading wrong, that could cause just as much of a problem as well. So what I'm saying is that anything which COULD possibly be a contributor to the engine running poorly should be corrected.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, it didn't seem logical, but after you said it that way, I can fix that issue and try again. Thermostat is an easy fix regardless.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
50 Posts
Just throwing it out there.... I know that engine has had some issues with the timing chain tensioner weakening, which lets the chain slack, and it advances the timing a few degrees, or more. However, that would likely affect more than one cylinder.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to replace the thermostat issue this weekend and see if it fixes the temperature code and go from there. I'll keep that in mind in my troubleshooting steps. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts