Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with my passenger headlight on low beam. I replaced the bulb and it will work on high only. When I use a test light and compare the power I am getting to harness on drivers side and passengers side I am 1 leg short on passengers side. It only gets power when I turn on high beam. The drivers side has 2 legs that get power on low beam and the passengers side only has 1 getting power on low beam. I have checked all fuses and connections and this is what I have found. Cannot find any damaged wires coming in either. Why do I have same power on both sides when on high beam and not low beam and if I still have 2 legs getting power on high beam how does it know to turn on high? Does not make sense to me. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,613 Posts
The wiring diagram I have for the headlights isn't very good, and has one very clear mistake. So I'm not too confident about what I'm seeing, but according to that diagram, what you're describing seems really odd. According to what I see on the diagram, the only thing that could be the cause is a red connecting wire, located inside of the engine bay fuse box, which has become disconnected internally. That doesn't seem likely to me, so I'm scratching my head about this, just as you are. You are testing the yellow wire at the connector, correct? (not that it matters, because the low beam bulb is telling the full story anyway).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am testing it at the connector that connects to the back of the light assembly. The 6 prong one. But I did test right where light bulb attaches and nothing there either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wiring diagram I have for the headlights isn't very good, and has one very clear mistake. So I'm not too confident about what I'm seeing, but according to that diagram, what you're describing seems really odd. According to what I see on the diagram, the only thing that could be the cause is a red connecting wire, located inside of the engine bay fuse box, which has become disconnected internally. That doesn't seem likely to me, so I'm scratching my head about this, just as you are. You are testing the yellow wire at the connector, correct? (not that it matters, because the low beam bulb is telling the full story anyway).
Could you send me a picture of this? I checked all wires in engine bay fuse box and couldn't tell any were loose. Am wondering if it is in switch. I have been reading and I see where other Kia's have some sort of switch other than switch inside turn signal lever and am wondering if this model has that.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,613 Posts
Here's the diagram of the headlight wiring. There's one mistake that I know of (the pin numbering in the headlight connector), and I don't have any idea how accurate the rest of it is, because I've never needed to open up the fuse box to check the wiring.

To me it appears that the right side red wire coming out of pin 2 of H/LP (LO) Relay, connects internally to the green wire coming out of pin 2 of H/LP (HI) Relay. And then that common feed from both wires comes into the right side low beam headlamp, after passing through the 10A H/LP LO (RH) fuse. But this diagram style is different than most others I've seen, so maybe I'm not reading it correctly because there's some convention they're using that I'm not familiar with.

If you have the fuse box open, you can check and test backwards and forwards from that fuse and 2 relays to see if the actual wiring matches the diagram. If the diagram is correct, then it should be able to eventually lead you to the answer to your problem.

I'd be interested to know if the physical wiring matches the diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will have to check this and see. Need to get it blown up enough to see better. Was told today that possibly the combination switch but on this model that seems to consist of the light switch and wiper switch in steering column. Fuses and relays are good cause can switch back and forth from one to other and low beam on drivers side works but not passenger. Relays are same part number. Been looking online for a repair manual for this but can only find downloadable 1s and not too sure about buying 1 of those.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Problem

I have a 2011 Kia Forte and my passenger side headlight also went out. We replaced it twice and it still isn't working. I am curious as to if you fixed yours and what the problem was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts