Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand from various sources that the 2010 Soul with 5 speed manual transmission can be towed four down. What are the "procedures" needed to safely accomplish this? Transmission in neutral, steering wheel locked in straight ahead position, etc. Those with experience please respond. Thanks

·
Registered
2011 Sportage
96 Posts
can be towed only if you lift the front wheels and put on a dolly or all four wheel lifted off the ground(trailer or flatbed)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can be towed only if you lift the front wheels and put on a dolly or all four wheel lifted off the ground(trailer or flatbed)
This is the owner's manual statement that pertains to automatic transmission. Kia Consumer Assistance Center personnel responded to the question of towing all four wheels down with "the only stipulation is that it is manual transmission." I'm looking for someone who has followed this advice and can elaborate on procedures such as key on ACC, steering wheel unlocked, parking brake released, etc.

·
Registered
2012 Soul + 2007 F350 D
13 Posts
Can't give Kia specific

but you are asking the right questions about flat towing.

My experience had to do with 4X4 FJ40's, made before the steering locks were added, so I didn't need to do the key in thing.

I did need to put a rubber strap on the steering wheel and the seat frame to add some resistance and -return-to-center effect on the steering wheel. Otherwise, at low speed turns, it would go to full lock and then not return!

I'm guessing you wish to tow behind a motorhome or such, without using a tow dolly. Check your towing regs, as many places require brakes on the 'trailer' if it exceeds a certain weight, often 2000 lbs.

I have had friends do many $1000 in damage flat towing, because of lubrication issues within transfer cases or transmissions. You need to be sure before you tow.

A tow dolly avoids all these problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave. The hope is to tow behind our motor home. Weight considerations put the option of using a tow dolly a distant last in our options but we do recognize this is a "safe" alternative. The towed vehicle must (by many if not all state laws) have an after market braking system which activates in concert with the coach brake - so that will be installed. The steering wheel locking issue is a new one to me but now that you mention it I will be alert to that potential.

·
Registered
2012 Soul + 2007 F350 D
13 Posts
I thought of one other issue with flat towing. You really can't back up. Not any distance, maybe a foot or two if needed to make a turn, but no real distance because the towed vehicle isn't going to behave like a trailer.

Of course, no better than I am backing a trailer, it maybe doesn't make that much difference....

·
Registered
2012 Soul+ ....It's the baby of the fleet.
56 Posts
I can't speak for the 2010s, but that was the first question we asked when we started looking at 2012s. A big NO-NO.
I don't recall if the owners manual said anything about it.
We bought it anyway. There are aluminum dollys which are fairly light-weight, if that helps.
And if you want to see something funny, watch someone trying to back up a loaded dolly. (Or maybr not so funny)

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
There is no mention in the owners manual about flat towing for extended periods at highway speed. It would probably be best to call Kia Corporate directly and ask them.

I can say from experience though, I know someone that flat tows a 2G Sportage FWD MT, and he has no problems. It has been to Florida and back multiple times and is fine. I realize it isn't the same vehicle, but the drivetrain is very similar.

Does anyone even make a base plate kit or a front tow hitch for the Soul? A tow dolly may be your best solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts