Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Spectra EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just joined the forum to get some info if possible, my mother is 90 yrs old, she gave up driving and gave me her car a 2009 Kia spectra with 92 thou miles on it...……….I have it home with me now, so far it needs brakes, she has all the paper work for it, hard to believe those brakes are orginial, tires are bad also, issue im having is with the replacement of the timing belt, don't know if its worth the expense of that with the brakes and tires.

Looking for some advice here since I never owned a Kia before...……….the car is in pretty good shape except for the few things she has run into the rear with, I threw on some flex tape to hold that together, other than that the car does look good.

I was just thinking of junking it...……..can only get $135 for it...…….I already have 3 cars so this is not needed.

Would you guys think its worth it to replace the timing belt, brakes and tires...……...

Thanks for any help here.

Rich

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,935 Posts
Thru rockauto.com the parts in question are very reasonable, And if you are a good DIY'er not hard to do at all for labor. I say this from the experience of having the same year car and doing all that you post of. Tires are your choice as to what and how much to spend on it. For what the car is designed for in usage, there are not many other cars of same class that I've found to be any better for reliability and ease of maint.
The ultimate choice of what you do is totally up to you and your needs.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Spectra EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks guys, the $ 135 was the junk yard price...…...im thinking with brakes, tires, timing belt and whatever pops up, not sure I want to invest this kind of money in the car.

Never did a timing belt on one of these cars, suppose I could look into it.

Rich

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
You were GIVEN the car, If you can DIY for approx $500. you could do all you posted of including finding some kind of tires for it. Pick up a cheap haynes book for the car, it will give pretty decent timing belt and brake replacement guidance. And check out rockauto for the parts you need, I've been very happy with them. Once you see how costs tally out, I'm pretty sure you'll decide to have a "keeper".

·
Registered
2009 Kia Spectra EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You were GIVEN the car, If you can DIY for approx $500. you could do all you posted of including finding some kind of tires for it. Pick up a cheap haynes book for the car, it will give pretty decent timing belt and brake replacement guidance. And check out rockauto for the parts you need, I've been very happy with them. Once you see how costs tally out, I'm pretty sure you'll decide to have a "keeper".
Thanks for the reply, wasn't exactly "Given" the car, my mother just doesn't want it anymore...……...no problem with doing the brakes or the tire replacement, went to two places, dealer and independent shop, the dealer says $500 the independent shop says $800 for the timing belt replacement.,

Now the dealer says you do not need to replace the waterpump while doing this, the independent shops says you do...………...my question is what exactly do I need to replace while doing this.

Sorry for the dumb questions, LOL is it just me or is this forum hard to follow...…..im not even sure what section im in on here now. lol

Thanks guys

Rich

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
First off, and I thought that I "qualified" my posting...$500.00 total was in PARTS if you were a DIY person.
At the age of the car it would be best to replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt as it sits behind the belt and has to be removed to change the water pump(should it start to go bad later).

Yes paying labor to have the job done for you gets rather expensive. Buy a haynes book from your local parts store/bookstore...it will give you enough guidance for all work we are talking about here and was included in my money spent estimate.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I believe i spent under $200 for a timing belt kit with water pump
Bought a complete kit thru rockauto and price was around $125. Got rotor pad "kits" AND rear calipers thru same and spent about $325 for all a couple years ago..Prices for parts for these decent little Spectra's are about as easy on the pocketbook as our 04 Neon (and the motor is EASIER to work on than the Neon)!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts