Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Spectra LX 5 speed Manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all I'm new here trying to get some answers.

So i recently had my radiator Crack on my 2009 Spectra (140,000mi), so i decided to go all out and got a dual core aluminum radiator (essentially for a tiburon, but hell it's plug n play). I've had a friend tell me the water pump won't be able to handle it, since I've almost doubled the amount of coolant, and also telling me since the car won't be used to running that cool my thermostat won't operate right.

So far i got a code that said my coolant temp is to low. I used a reader to clear that code. It came back a few days later, but it cleared itself the next day.

Should i worry about my engine (G4GC) becoming an avalanche of issues with that radiator?
Maybe get a high flow fuel pump but i don't that will help with the temp running low. I also don't think i let it warm up properly when the light came on both times.

Looking for advice and possible fixes.
Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,'11 Dodge Journey AWD,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,512 Posts
Yeah, I've heard all those "nay sayer's" for a long time.
REPLACE the THERMOSTAT with the O.E. spec temp rating and then go drive your car.
There is no High flow water pump or other increased capacity parts.
In other words ...you should be fine after putting in a new thermostat.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Spectra LX 5 speed Manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've heard all those "nay sayer's" for a long time.
REPLACE the THERMOSTAT with the O.E. spec temp rating and then go drive your car.
There is no High flow water pump or other increased capacity parts.
In other words ...you should be fine after putting in a new thermostat.
Cool, i have another friend who's saying that as well. I was thinking of starting there regardles. I appreciate your input! Thank you Mia Kia

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
I would doubt that a larger capacity radiator would cause you any problems... The thermostat on the engine WILL keep the coolant at the thermostat's rated temperature... A bad thermostat as MIA KIA 09 said is probably your problem... A larger radiator will only improve your hot weather cooling and would not effect your winter driving...
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts