Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
240k miles
Timing belt less than 25K on it
New fuel pump
New crank sensor
New NGK plugs/wires
No active codes (P0011 in memory. Happened once after a long day of driving, hasn't been back since)
Pulled the EVAP purge solenoid, couldn't blow through it, but also don't have electrical specs or a vacuum tester handy until Monday.
Vehicle has a collapsed PCV hose (waiting on back ordered part rn)

Vehicle will occasionally stall or crank no start, only seems to happen when vehicle is warmed up and/or during hotter times of day. For instance, yesterday I drove about 25 miles, making a couple of stops. After the second stop, vehicle stumbled and then stalled while idling at a traffic light. It was warm out (middle 70s), but not hot. More often than not, when it stalls it happens just after starting; will idle for a few seconds and then crap out. Doesn't even have to be at operating temp. I normally park on the top floor of the garage at school, came out after class (vehicle had been sitting in the afternoon sun for a few hours); crank no start. When this happens I can't hear the pump come on, but the few times it's happened I've been in very noisy places so maybe it is and I'm just not hearing it.

Hate to have my first post be a diagnostic post, but the intermittent nature of the problem and it not being one of the "usual culprits" of this kind of condition, I'm kind of at a loss. I use this car for work and I can't drag passengers around if I'm worried about the car stalling out on me. (It actually happened yesterday as I was on my way to pick up a passenger. No bueno.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When it fails to start, usually if I just let it sit for a little while it will start right up, which made me suspect the EVAP purge solenoid being stuck open intermittently.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It is possible for the EVAP purge solenoid to be bad...BUT what also has me concerned is the collapsed PCV hose, check and or replace the PCV valve too!
Is the CEL/MIL lamp illuminated on the dash? If so a scan by a place like autozone (it's done for free) and then posting those codes(P _ _ _ _ format) will go a long way in being able to help you better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The MIL is not illuminated. There is a P0011 code in memory. PCV valve rattles when removed, but they're only $4 at autozone, might as well throw one at this. Never been changed as far as I know and I've had this car for 200 of its 240k

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The MIL is not illuminated. There is a P0011 code in memory. PCV valve rattles when removed, but they're only $4 at autozone, might as well throw one at this. Never been changed as far as I know and I've had this car for 200 of its 240k
Rather UNUSUAL problem to have without some MIL or code. Most common responses would have some type of EVAP system code present. Have you checked the MAF and connecting hose and rubber connectors from it(mounted on the air filter box) to the intake manifold for cracks or not being tightly secured.
I have a thread about the P0011 here, so I know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rather UNUSUAL problem to have without some MIL or code. Most common responses would have some type of EVAP system code present. Have you checked the MAF and connecting hose and rubber connectors from it(mounted on the air filter box) to the intake manifold for cracks or not being tightly secured.
I have a thread about the P0011 here, so I know what you're talking about.
If the purge solenoid is only hanging open -sometimes- the EVAP monitor won't necessarily catch it and the CCM will only report a dead short or open. New PCV valve in, hopefully have the hose some time next week. I'm also going to experiment with not filling the car up all way. Not sure if me reading that stalling/hard start due to purge solenoid is more common when the tank is full is making me misremember this happening only when the tank was full/near full.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By stroke of luck, the bug cropped up while I was in my engine performance class and we were able to narrow the fault to an intermittent open in the conductor between the distribution block and the fuel pump. I'm betting on corrosion on the back of the distribution block, but I haven't taken it out to inspect it yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts