Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona (2 of them)
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own three Sedonas, two 2007s and one 2009 (it's a long story). So I know how the van should jump when you hit the gas pedal.

On my 2009, my wife will step down hard to merge into traffic on a short on-ramp and it feels like the engine just ignores her. There's about 1.5 seconds of lag before the van suddenly wakes up and does what Sedonas do -- jump like hell. This is not a pleasant experience.

I can't make it do it. So I had my wife drive and son of a gun if I didn't see her foot hard down on the pedal and no jump from the engine. The air filter is new and the air intake pipe isn't cracked. Could it be the airflow sensor? It seems to me it would happen all the time if that was the case. Most of the time it works fine for my wife but every now and then it just doesn't do the Go thing.

I'll mention that she's a two-footed driver, and someone on one of the Sorrento threads mentioned that if your foot is resting gently on the brake it could confuse the fly-by-wire sensors. I'm not a two-footer, so that's a suspect. But I'm interested to hear other theories on this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If she refuses to drive correctly with 1 foot I'd buy her something with a manual trans. That way she can use both feet.
She drives just fine thanks. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

·
Registered
2010 Grand Carnival/Sedona 3.8
30 Posts
Try driving with the air flow meter disconnected and see if the problem goes away.
The ecu should use a base reading. If it runs better its the afm.

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
377 Posts
From your description I would be looking at the throttle body (Throttle Position Sensor, TPS ) or/and the Pedal position sensor, the problem is you do not want to just throw parts at it, it gets expensive and frustrating.
You need to watch the data PIDS, even with a basic ELM 27 and an app for your phone like Torque Pro (not the free one) you can view the pedal and TPS operating together or not which MAY be your issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try driving with the air flow meter disconnected and see if the problem goes away.
The ecu should use a base reading. If it runs better its the afm.
discoken wins the prize this week. I've pulled the plug on the air flow meter for three weeks and my wife has declared it "sports mode" on the van. When I mentioned plugging it back in to verify the problem returns she looked disheartened. Now I need to find an air flow meter and drop it in. Thanks for the tip!

Option 2 -- leave it unplugged and put black tape over the Service Engine Soon light on the dash.

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
377 Posts
The Mass Air Flow meter may be able to get cleaned with a MAF cleaner, you will need to remove the sensor from the tube. the air flow meter is not the two wires visable it is hidden in the plstic ducting. you can't see it but flood the tubing with cleaner. The two wires you can see I think are air temp sensors.or.......................Option 2

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you sir! I've found a MAF for $42, but the cleaner is $7 and I can buy it locally. I'll give that a shot first and see if it clears the issue.

I'm feeling a lot of love in this thread! Group hug!

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
377 Posts
OOOOOOPS. when I said remove the sensor from the tube, what i meant was, the sensor assembly has toe be removed from the rubber hose and unbolted from the air cleaner box. the MAF then is cleaned while in the plastic housing and cleaned though the ports and through the sreen filter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. I eyeballed a video on how to do it after reading your response. I'm good!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did this on Saturday and it was an awfully easy job. You're able to remove the filter cover and turn the pipe so you can get at the two bolt heads super-easy. Sprayed the hell out of it, set it to dry for a couple of hours, reinstalled. The car's throttle seems much hotter now, so I may do it to my other three cars as well! But my wife's opinion will tell the tale. I couldn't make it happen the way she could, so I figure I'll find out in the next few days as she tools around town for her job.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final follow-up -- this appears to have completely corrected the problem, for $10 and work that I could do myself with ease. Thank you all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts