Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a 2009 Kia Optima LX last year (used with 46k on it at the time), and within the first week, I found I picked up a screw in a tire. Ended up having the whole tire replaced by Gateway Tire here in Nashville. They noted at that point that my valve stem was seized, and would likely require the entire replacement of the TPMS, and that this was very common among Kias. They just re-used the old stem.

Fast forward a few months... I had the front tires replaced (placed in the rear) by Firestone Complete Auto Care. These were different wheels, and again, I was told the stems were seized. They again left the originals on.

I'm looking at having the fronts replaced again (including the one that I replaced a week into owning the car. I know they're going to give me grief as they did the previous two times regarding the seized stems. I called my local dealer (Carnival Kia), and they noted they don't replace anything unless they absolutely have to... and they cover the cost of replacing the sensor if they break it.

Based on this confusing information, and that this is my first car with TPMS (I myself have actually been very old-school when it comes to tires and what not, and I know our lovely government required these starting with '08 models), what I need to know is...

1) What exactly is normal regarding TPMS maintenance (including rebuilds) on these cars?
2) If I do need to have these rebuilt per everything else I see online, where would you suggest I go get tires for my car?
3) Any other suggestions that may be helpful.

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
I purchased a 2009 Kia Optima LX last year (used with 46k on it at the time), and within the first week, I found I picked up a screw in a tire. Ended up having the whole tire replaced by Gateway Tire here in Nashville. They noted at that point that my valve stem was seized, and would likely require the entire replacement of the TPMS, and that this was very common among Kias. They just re-used the old stem.

Fast forward a few months... I had the front tires replaced (placed in the rear) by Firestone Complete Auto Care. These were different wheels, and again, I was told the stems were seized. They again left the originals on.

I'm looking at having the fronts replaced again (including the one that I replaced a week into owning the car. I know they're going to give me grief as they did the previous two times regarding the seized stems. I called my local dealer (Carnival Kia), and they noted they don't replace anything unless they absolutely have to... and they cover the cost of replacing the sensor if they break it.

Based on this confusing information, and that this is my first car with TPMS (I myself have actually been very old-school when it comes to tires and what not, and I know our lovely government required these starting with '08 models), what I need to know is...

1) What exactly is normal regarding TPMS maintenance (including rebuilds) on these cars?
2) If I do need to have these rebuilt per everything else I see online, where would you suggest I go get tires for my car?
3) Any other suggestions that may be helpful.
Ok, so when they say the stems are seized up, do they mean the valve cores? Its possible for them to get corroded if the valve stem cap is missing or incorrect. If its a problem, they should be able to just hold the core down and let the air out. Its slow work, but its possible. Tire shops should really invest in these Tire Deflator for TPMS Stems by Lisle (part#LIS19860) / Commercial Tools & Equipment. I have a set that work great and avoid having to deal with seized cores. If you're still within 5yr/60k miles, the TPMS sensors should be warranty, especially if the core starts leaking out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the valve core. The stem caps are plastic and are easy to remove/replace. Each time, they did exactly what you suggested... let the air out.

Also, the car is no longer under warranty (well past 60k). I do have an extended warranty on it, but I'm not sure if it covers this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts