Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sportage, 2.0L, SOHC
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a 2009 Kia Sportage with the 2.0L engine. It died while he was going down the road. He out a code scanner in it and it gave out a code for bad crankshaft sensor. We changed the sensor an it wouldn't start. Out code scanner ba k on an it gave a code for faulty fuel pump. We changed the fuel pump an it still won't start. Checked the timing and it is good. Checked all fuses. While messing with it we figured out that if you unplug the crankshaft sensor an try to start it a couple of times then plug the crankshaft sensor back in the car starts for a minute and dies then goes back to not starting. Anybody have a similar problem or know what is causing this. I'm stumped. Have you a multi tester an the sensor is getting voltage going in an out. Please help us.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
Just a thought... Because the car ran after unplugging and again plugging in the crank sensor and also because you had an error code pointing to the crank sensor being bad... You have moved the wires and connector and you may have a corroded/damaged connector or a wiring problem close to the crank sensor... The new sensor would have not cured the problem... Just by chance of removing and reinstalling the connector you may have scraped off some oxidation or moved one of the wires just enough to allow the engine to run for a short while...
This is the direction I would follow...
A good mechanic would have back probed the crank sensor connector to look for B+/ground/signal out before removing it... Just a slight movement of either....
I hope I'm right... Anyway good luck and keep us posted on what you find...
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts