Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Today is my first day to the Kia Forums site. There seem to be a wealth of knowledgable people on here so I thought I'd give it a try. I have a 2009 Kia Sportage LX 4WD 2.7 V6. I bought it brand new and now have 29,000 miles on it, three years later. Just last week I began hearing a humming/whining/revving type of noise in the engine - mostly while accelerating and idling in neutral. It is not a terribly loud noise, but it is louder than normal engine noise. The noise does not get better or worse with the air conditioner on or off, nor is it affecting by turning the steering wheel in either direction. I will be taking it to the dealer, as I am still in warranty, but I am afraid they are going to tell me it is "normal" which is the default response from dealers when they don't want to dedicate the manpower to diagnosing a vehicle noise. I was hoping I can go into the dealer with a little background knowledge or a possible cause for this issue. I greatly appreciate any information anyone can give me. My e-mail address is [email protected]. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
Possible bad idler/tensioner pulley bearing, or AC pulley bearing(would change very slightly with AC on, but maybe not noticeable). Water pump or time belt pulley bearing. Lots of possibilities.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
Tbelt noise? Does the noise get louder/faster with increase in speed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem Fixed

Hello Guys,
Thank you for your replies. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the idler tension pulley and the belt and this DID not fix the problem. Then, they replaced the entire compressor assembly and that fixed the noise. It must have been a bad AC pulley like you said! Thanks a lot for your help! If you don't mind, I am having another problem - the "ESC OFF" light is coming up on my dashboard while I drive. Does this mean that my electronic stability control is disengaged, or is it just an electronic malfunction? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
If the ESC light is on, it means there is a fault in the system, and there should be a code stored. Being a Sportage, could most likely be a bad stop lamp switch, or maybe a steering angle sensor. Check your stop lamp bulbs as well, sometimes if they are burnt out it can cause the ESC light to come on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kia Sportage

Dear All,
I wanted to know about Kia sportage 2001-2004. Please could you tell me about kia sportage engine on CNG/Petrol, if some one has changed their engine toyota 3fi, how is this engine, can you share me related iformation, i want to buy kia sportage, now i am using Terios Kid 2006, Whts the difference between them, its a comfortable or not, if i go to long route.

Regards
Muhammad Naseer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts