Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 spectra sport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thank you in advance for any help. I have a 09 KIA Spectra and the driver's side wheel bearing is starting to go. I know if I was to just replace the bearing I would need a press to remove and install the new bearing but that I do not have. So I was looking at replacing the entire wheel hub/bearing assembly and wanted to know if I would still need a press to get the old hub/bearing off and to put the new assembly back on. I tried searching the forums and even consulting my go-to mechanic but he has never had the joy of replacing the whole assembly or even just a wheel bearing on any Kia before he retired. any help is much appreciated I'm trying to avoid a shop as I am on a budget and do have the ability to do this if a press is not needed.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,061 Posts
You would replace the entire wheel spindle assembly for the lack of a press? No...Remove the spindle and take it to a local garage or shop. Bring a new wheel bearing cartridge along with you. Tell them your story, I'm sure they will cut you a deal. You may be able to get it out yourself if not to corroded in place. If you live in the rust belt it most likely is frozen. Heat and penetration oil is your friend...

·
Registered
2009 spectra sport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would replace the entire wheel spindle assembly for the lack of a press? No...Remove the spindle and take it to a local garage or shop. Bring a new wheel bearing cartridge along with you. Tell them your story, I'm sure they will cut you a deal. You may be able to get it out yourself if not to corroded in place. If you live in the rust belt it most likely is frozen. Heat and penetration oil is your friend...
I definitely live in the rust belt (the Adirondack Mountains by the Canadian border) and I have no other ride to just ask a shop for help. The nearest shop to my exact location is a 25 min drive and I highly doubt they are going to let me tear the car apart in their parking lot lol. The whole assembly is fairly cheap I been pricing them out and rock auto and advance have one for about $40 USD for a whole hub/bearing assembly (which comes with a new axle nut). And if it's just removing the axle nut and caliper bracket and the hub bolts to put a new one on in the yard since I lack a press it's worth the 30 to 60 min of my time than tracking a ride down paying for a ride and then what the shop wants to press a new bearing in, in the long run.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,061 Posts
Wow! That's a good price! Don't forget you have to deal with a strut and lower ball joint. If your ok with those adjoining parts it's a no brainier! Go for it!

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,'11 Dodge Journey AWD,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,483 Posts
I definitely live in the rust belt (the Adirondack Mountains by the Canadian border) and I have no other ride to just ask a shop for help. The nearest shop to my exact location is a 25 min drive and I highly doubt they are going to let me tear the car apart in their parking lot lol. The whole assembly is fairly cheap I been pricing them out and rock auto and advance have one for about $40 USD for a whole hub/bearing assembly (which comes with a new axle nut). And if it's just removing the axle nut and caliper bracket and the hub bolts to put a new one on in the yard since I lack a press it's worth the 30 to 60 min of my time than tracking a ride down paying for a ride and then what the shop wants to press a new bearing in, in the long run.
From one who has done the same task on the vehicle...Member Lou O is correct The hub has to be pressed out, and I do recommend using a new hub(also known as drive flange). Then there is a miserable lock ring on the cv joint side of the actual bearing race that is then pressed out(with the CV joint and axle taken out of the way). Then the new bearing pressed into the steering knuckle from the inner side and lock ring reinstalled. Then the new hub has to be pressed into the bearing from the outboard side. I've done auto repair most of my life and have made SPECIAL spacers and heavy threaded rods/nuts to be able to do the job on the car. RUST BELT makes this job all the more difficult...I KNOW being from due south of BUFFALO, NY! It's NOT a "novice job".

Reactions: DavesSpectra

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Thanks Mia... I neglected to bring up the fun with the half shaft. The OP believes he can do all this heavy wrenching, and he very well might! At the worst it will cost him a tow to the shop on top of the R & R. I was never able to pull this particular repair off on my vehicles...all rust belt Detroit area.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
I have done two of these on my daughter-in-law's 2008 Spectra that had 200k miles on it at the time... You will need to remove the whole spindle(s) after using a slide hammer to pull the hub and part of the bearing... Then you will need a a bearing puller set AND a 12 ton hydraulic press... This is not a job for a driveway mechanic without the proper tools... I had both items and it was a hard job even with them... take the spindle with hub to a shop that can do the work...
The passenger side half-shaft (CV joint) was solidly frozen in the hub and I ended up having to replace the half-shaft from a "donor" car after trying to heat-cool-and finally beating on the threaded shaft out of the hub... I was replacing the hubs, the bearings with new ones off of ebay... I also replaced the lower control arms and one of the two bolts on the front of the control arm broke it's nut free INSIDE the hollow engine cradle and I ended up having to cut the head off of the bolt... The nut then would not "fall" into the cradle and I couldn't drill through the cradle to replace with an external nut and new bolt... I ended up using the one free bolt and then welded the front of the control arm to the engine cradle for strength... It became a job I wouldn't have done for anyone else but had to for family... An engine cradle plus all the other parts wouldn't have been worth it on a 2008 with 200k miles on it... She now has a quiet car that I'm not worried about having to replace those parts in another 200k :)...

Rust belt cars can be a real pain and I believe many of them end up in a salvage yard because of the rust blocking repairs on their suspensions
Dave

Reactions: Lou O.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts