Kia Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Rio, base model. 2006 Kia Sorento LX. 2010 Kia Soul +.
15 Posts
I have a 2006 Sorento LX that had the same issue. I drove it to work, blower was good. I went out at lunch and the blower wouldn't work. Checked the fuses, they were good. Drove it home with no blower in 90+ heat. Got it home and as an afterthought cranked it again after I had parked it. Blower started just fine and hasn't cut out since. I suspect a sticky relay in my case, but it also could be corrosion in the fusebox, which is what I suspect is going on with your vehicle. Try pulling the two fuses and hosing down the fuse sockets with electronics cleaner. CRC makes a great one they call QD. It's about 5 or 6 bucks at Walmart. If you know which relay it is, hose down the socket under it too. Good luck! Being without a working blower is no bueno.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sorento EX 3.6L V6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Anyone thought it may be the blower resistor?
Absolutely, that was my first thought, but it turns out that the computer controlled environmental system doesn't actually have a blower resistor, that would be way too easy, but instead has a computer module that controls fan speed by pulsing on and off the ground and/or hot side of the circuit.
After testing just about everything else, that is what we are left with as the most likely problem.
What I need is a diagram so I don't have to tear apart any more than necessary to get at it, test it, and replace it, if needed.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sorento EX V6 3.8
14 Posts
Anyone thought it may be the blower resistor?
Absolutely, that was my first thought, but it turns out that the computer controlled environmental system doesn't actually have a blower resistor, that would be way too easy, but instead has a computer module that controls fan speed by pulsing on and off the ground and/or hot side of the circuit.
After testing just about everything else, that is what we are left with as the most likely problem.
What I need is a diagram so I don't have to tear apart any more than necessary to get at it, test it, and replace it, if needed.
Thanks Brenda. I was basing it on my 07 Sorento. Didn't know they changed it. BTW I have the service manual for the Sorento on PDF.

·
Registered
2008 KIA Grand Carnival EX
16 Posts
Any chance it might be a thermal fuse on the mosfet board that drives the motors? I’m not familiar with the model however if it is driven by a mosfet then there should be close to the motor a little silver heatsink attached to a board and that board has a thermal fuse on it. If it’s broken then the mosfet can’t power the motor.

·
Registered
2008 KIA Grand Carnival EX
16 Posts
I found some photos of when I changed the thermal fuse in the blower mosfet circuit on my '08 Carnival.

The first photo shows the board in place. If your thermal fuse is broken then you will have an open circuit across the top two solder joints. If there is a circuit then your problem is not the thermal fuse. Just use the continuity tester on a multimeter to verify this.

The part is quite cheap but the surgery needs an experienced electronics person. You need heatsinks, thermal paste, de-soldering braid, etc. From memory you can buy a complete unit but here in Oz they were over $200. I'm guessing the states would have them very cheap and if Kia doesn't have one you could get one from Hyundai or ever a parts wrecker or aftermarket maybe. Much easier to just replace the unit than replace the thermal fuse.

IMG_5019.JPG IMG_5052.JPG IMG_5056.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

In the second photo the top one is the original one. It has a non-conductive casing unlike the one I used shown below the original one. You can use one with a metal case however you MUST solder it in place whilst you have a shim of some description between it, the heatsink and the brass plate. Once it is soldered in place then you can apply the heatsink compound to connect it thermally to the heatsink.

Third photo is what is looks like before the board is de-soldered to expose the thermal fuse. Fourth photo is with the board off, mosfet under the brass plate and the original thermal fuse is under the tab on the brass plate.

Hope you get your blower working :)

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sorento EX 3.6L V6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
That is a possible, I'm sure. I'll have to try to track it back.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts