Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sorento EX 3.6L V6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2009 Kia Sorento EX with a fully automated environmental controls. So I just got out of town where I'm going to be working for 2 weeks and AC was working great all the way here and when I went out earlier. I get in the car to run out to get dinner and I have no blower. I can find no blown fuses and I'm not positive which relays run this.
I could really use somebody walking me through how to check everything including which fuses and relays might be bad all the way to figuring out if the blower is bad. The fact that is suddenly went out suggests to me that this is a relay or a fuse of some sort but I'm not a hundred percent positive. No tapping the blower motor did not get it to start.
Thank you for your time and assistance,
-Brenda

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage EX 2.7L
71 Posts
I usually just unplug the wiring to the fan and test with a meter or light. If voltage is present and fan not working, change the fan. If no voltage then work backwards locating relays and such.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually just unplug the wiring to the fan and test with a meter or light. If voltage is present and fan not working, change the fan. If no voltage then work backwards locating relays and such.
Thank you. I'll try that when I've got light to do so and I'm off work.
Biggest issue is that tracing the wires will be difficult and I can't find a list of what relays run the blower.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All right, the Adventure Continues. So I pulled the blower motor and put Power on it and it started right up. Running just great. So I thought must be a issue with getting power to it. So to cover my bases I stick the multimeter on the plug and start the car and turn on the AC with the fan turned all the way up. I'm seeing 14.4 volts on my multimeter. I try lowering the fan speed in the voltage goes down to 10.8 volts give or take a 10th of a volt. I find this strange. I have power at the plug, and I know the blower Works when it has power, so what is going on.
I try plugging it up and nothing happens. So I insert my probes from the back side of the plug and I'm still reading 14.4 volts when the plug is off of the blower but as soon as the plug makes contact with the lower the voltage drops to zero.
So I'm at a complete and total loss. How do I have power on the plug until I complete the circuit with the blower? Is this a sign of a bad blower or something else in the system going to it? I really don't know.
One other thing to note is that I have roughly the 10.8V at the plug at all blower settings short of full blast and even with the environmental system off.

I could really use some help here. Is this a computer problem or something else?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage EX 2.7L
71 Posts
Interesting. I've changed 2 of these recently. I didn't even bench test the fan as you have since the vehicles were around 13 years old and fans were at the end of their life anyway. Maybe I got lucky :). Either you have a bad connection somewhere in the circuit or this fan is just pulling too much current.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. I've changed 2 of these recently. I didn't even bench test the fan as you have since the vehicles were around 13 years old and fans were at the end of their life anyway. Maybe I got lucky :). Either you have a bad connection somewhere in the circuit or this fan is just pulling too much current.
I'm inclined to just replace the fan but I feel like the problem is somewhere else but I don't even know where all to look at. I was hoping somebody could give me a list of fuses and relays that affect this fan so that I can check them. I would also love somebody to give me an idea why the voltage goes to zero when I plug the fan in. I'm sure it has something to do with the computer controls

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,489 Posts
Good electrical diagnosis requires a wiring diagram, but unfortunately I can't help with that because the site I used to access free wiring diagrams from is no longer available. However I do see a fuse box diagram for your vehicle, which shows a 30A 'F/BLW' fuse, and a 'F/BLW' blower relay. With B+ voltage at the connector, the blower fuse and relay are certainly operational, but you could try some intermediate jump testing from both of those points to see if any meaningful result shows up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good electrical diagnosis requires a wiring diagram, but unfortunately I can't help with that because the site I used to access free wiring diagrams from is no longer available. However I do see a fuse box diagram for your vehicle, which shows a 30A 'F/BLW' fuse, and a 'F/BLW' blower relay. With B+ voltage at the connector, the blower fuse and relay are certainly operational, but you could try some intermediate jump testing from both of those points to see if any meaningful result shows up.
Thank you. Do you have a fuse number or a source for the fuse box diagrams? Mine doesn't list them that way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been thinking about it, and please correct me if I'm off base here, I have two brown wires coming in on the positive post. Is it possible that the something (the computer) sends power down the smallest wire to check for a complete circuit and once confirmed, stops, leaving the larger wire to carry the load when the fan is kicked on?
Any other ideas?
Thanks for the great input so far.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Thank you. Do you have a fuse number or a source for the fuse box diagrams? Mine doesn't list them that way.
So you're saying the layout diagram on the inside of the fuse box cover does not have 'F/BLW' listed on it?

I've been thinking about it, and please correct me if I'm off base here, I have two brown wires coming in on the positive post. ...
What you're describing sounds strange, and I can't imagine why 2 wires would ever be connected to the same pin. Can you post a pic of what you're looking at?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Somehow the fuse box cover has disappeared. It kept falling into the floor board and I kept putting it back but I'm going to guess that at some point it fell and I didn't notice it and it got kicked out of the truck. I had to look online for a fuse box diagram.

I'll get a picture in daylight tomorrow of the plug, but description is that it has a large and small brown wires running to the positive side and a yellow with a green (I think) stripe on the negative side.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Somehow the fuse box cover has disappeared. It kept falling into the floor board and I kept putting it back but I'm going to guess that at some point it fell and I didn't notice it and it got kicked out of the truck. I had to look online for a fuse box diagram. ...
Sounds like you're talking about the inside fuse box, however the blower fuse and relay are located in the engine bay fuse box.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like you're talking about the inside fuse box, however the blower fuse and relay are located in the engine bay fuse box.
I'll look closer at those tomorrow after work.
Thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Further update:

I've taken some pictures, as was asked, and I was wrong the yellow and black is the hot and the two browns are the ground.
I've checked the fuse box under the hood and both the fuse and relay are good.

So, does anyone else have some input?
I'm at a total loss here. Surely I'm not the first person to have this issue, right?

Thank you for your help and input,
-Brenda

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't know what that double brown wire is all about, and wouldn't be able to figure it out without a wiring diagram. But in any case, there has been a bit of history of some Kia/Hyundai vehicles having a blower problem caused by melted components on the ground circuit. I don't know if your 2009 has the blower wired that way, but there is one test you can do to check if it's the ground circuit having the problem.

The test is to use the power coming in from the connector, and bypass the connector ground circuit. With the blower disconnected, take a short jumper wire and use it to connect the positive side of both connector sections to each other. Next take a long jumper wire and connect the negative side of the blower connector to the negative battery terminal. Turn the key and the climate control system on and check to see if the blower spins. If it does, then the problem is somewhere on the ground circuit side, and the likely suspects are the climate control unit or one of the connectors plugged into it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.
Okay, I tried this test and it was no change. I then reversed and used the ground off of the plug and ran positive to the battery and the motor turned.
So I'm still not sure what's going on. there has got to be a relay out somewhere between the AC controls and the blower.
I wired in a 12v Motor controller and ran power to the blower that way and it is working quite well.
I ran it temporarily off of the wiring from my trailer break controller, mostly as a test.
Where is a good circuit that is on the key side, for me to run a more permanent line for this?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Okay, I tried this test and it was no change. I then reversed and used the ground off of the plug and ran positive to the battery and the motor turned. ...
Interesting and somewhat surprising that the issue turns out to be on the power side. The problem is likely to be inside of the fuse box, but that's just a guess until additional testing is done. I can't answer your question without being able to look at a wiring diagram, but I can provide some additional testing at the blower relay (which doesn't require a wiring diagram) that you could do, if your up for that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting and somewhat surprising that the issue turns out to be on the power side. The problem is likely to be inside of the fuse box, but that's just a guess until additional testing is done. I can't answer your question without being able to look at a wiring diagram, but I can provide some additional testing at the blower relay (which doesn't require a wiring diagram) that you could do, if your up for that.
I'm willing to give it a try. I already switched the relay in the fuse box with another with no change and all identified fuses seem to be good.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm willing to give it a try. I already switched the relay in the fuse box with another with no change and all identified fuses seem to be good.
This testing is of the circuits coming through the relay, not the relay itself. First off, have you already figured out what each pin of the F/BLW relay does? If not, we'll start with that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts