Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sedona LX, 2008 Hyundai Sonata
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Now that the warm weather has returned to Canada, and I am now able to drive with the windows open, I have noticed a bit of a ringing noise coming from my 2009 Kia Sedona LX.

I think it is coming from the front left hand side. When I am doing a sharp left turn, like in a parking lot or going around a traffic circle (roundabout), I can hear a noise that sounds like a bell ringing.

Today I did an experiment, I was doing tight left hand circles in an empty parking lot and I could hear the ringing. When I was doing right hand circles I can't hear it. Anyone have any idea what could be causing it? It must be something with the front suspension on the left side.

If anyone needs to know, there is now 107,000 km's on the vehicle

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX
17 Posts
Maybe front wheel bearings... But Thats usually a low humming or rumble sound...

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
I'd imagine it would be something to do with the brakes - perhaps a pad touching an area of the disc or even something rubbing on the splash guard?

If you are capable, you could try jacking the van up and rotating the wheel and see if you can see/hear anything obvious.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sedona LX, 2008 Hyundai Sonata
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think I may have figured it out. Lug nuts too tight.

I jacked up the van and removed the front left wheel. I didn't find anything out the the ordinary. I noticed there is a metal plate at the back of the assembly (the dust cover/splash guard), and gave it a little tap, and that seems to be making the sound I was hearing.

Now the fun begins. I was reading the owner's manual section about emergency tire changes, to reference the nut tightening pattern when I noticed the following:

"The Specified tightening torque is 65-79 lb.ft. Improperly tightened wheel lug nuts could cause brake pedal vibration while braking."

No kidding. That is what my van has been doing for the longest time. I had my front brakes replaced in October (92,000 km's). After the brake job my brake pedal was still vibrating. I was beginning to think it was normal for this vehicle. It seems like everyone who has touched my wheels in the last few years has been torqueing them too tight.

I purchased my own torque wrench and loosened all my lug nuts. Some of them were so tight I had to stand on the tire iron, and I hear a nice loud creaking noise. I then re-torqued all the lug nuts to 65 ft.lbs, and the vibrations and ringing went away.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
I need a torque wrench! I overtightened the lugs on my Jeep so badly I am having trouble getting them off. :blink:

Good job on tracking down the fix!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
I need a torque wrench! I overtightened the lugs on my Jeep so badly I am having trouble getting them off. :blink:

Good job on tracking down the fix!
Check out Harbor Freight Tools. I got mine on sale for around $30 and it has gotten the job done for four years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same noise with my 2009 Sedona LX. Left hand turns, except the noise was on the right side. I re-torqued the lugnuts on the right front wheel (they were too tight) and the noise is gone. Never used the torque wrench on lugnuts before, but will from now on. I'm still wondering why tight lugnuts would cause the noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts