Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sedona LX, 2008 Hyundai Sonata
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2009 Kia Sedona LX Convenience - a Canadian vehicle with the 3.8L engine.

I have noticed an intermittent tapping noise under the hood when the Air conditioning is on, or when the windshield defroster is on. I can hear a click, then a fan turns on, then sometimes I hear a tap-tap-tap-tap, which goes away when the fan turns off. It is intermittent on-off-on-off.

Is this normal with this engine?

I went to a dealership and asked them, but they told me that unless they catch it in the act, they would not be able to help

Some of you on this board have recommended Kiatechinfo.com I checked there and there was a something similar mentioned but only for the 2006-2008 model years. Apparently a part was changed, so mine should have the new one installed - or is the 2009 model year included as well?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds like the a/c compressor clutch hub.

There is a TSB on the issue, so far if it applies to your car- don't know.

(TSB is replacing the a/c compressor clutch hub with a revised part.)

Q: How many miles?
Q: Under warranty?

PS: You may have gotten the old version, got to get rid of those old hubs somewhere you know...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WeAreNotAlon. That is what I was looking for.

The Canadian Warranty is 5 years or 100,000 km. Right now I am at almost 80,000 km (49500 mi). It was manufactured Aug 2008, with and in service date of Jan 2009.

All else being equal, it should be under warranty, but I have added a Landi Renzo Propane (LPG) conversion on the vehicle. That might be sticking point on the warranty, since KIA could/would void the warranty on any part affected by the conversion (The Engine), but this is not affected by the conversion is it not.

I am almost due for an oil change/tire rotation. I will have the dealer look at the AC hub when I am in.

Speaking of LPG, I have been fighting a check engine light since the conversion 8 months ago. I notice sometimes when I am at a red light in gear, there is a but of a surging/lurching sensation which is more noticeable on LPG than gasoline.

I read somewhere that with this issue the ECM is getting confused with the extra load and trying to adjust the fuel trim to compensate for what it thinks is a lean or rich condition that is not actually there.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Speaking of LPG, I have been fighting a check engine light since the conversion 8 months ago. I notice sometimes when I am at a red light in gear, there is a but of a surging/lurching sensation which is more noticeable on LPG than gasoline.

I read somewhere that with this issue the ECM is getting confused with the extra load and trying to adjust the fuel trim to compensate for what it thinks is a lean or rich condition that is not actually there.
I bet if you were to drive it on gasoline alone and no LPG for at least two tanks of fuel your check engine light problem would go away.
The ECU does not know what is going on when you are using LPG as it cannot read the exhaust correctly with the O2 sensors.
So it gets confused.
If you could have the ECU re-programmed for the LPG then I think the problem could be solved.
But running it on gas alone will re-set the adaptive memory.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your help. I did take a much closer look under the hood with the air conditioner on and it is coming from the compressor like WeAreNotAlon said. I can when the compressor engages, when it shuts off, and the tapping noise starts and stops with it.

My next question is how much power/load should the AC unit be drawing. When I have the vehicle in drive on a slight upward grade and standing still, I can feel the vehicle rocking back and forth when I turn the AC on and off.

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for all your help. I did take a much closer look under the hood with the air conditioner on and it is coming from the compressor like WeAreNotAlon said. I can when the compressor engages, when it shuts off, and the tapping noise starts and stops with it.

My next question is how much power/load should the AC unit be drawing. When I have the vehicle in drive on a slight upward grade and standing still, I can feel the vehicle rocking back and forth when I turn the AC on and off.

Thanks for all your help
TSB if I'm reading it right is is a updated hub.

Power draw of A/C?

20 + years ago with the old upright compressors -they drew alot of power EG: When they kicked on you could really tell a difference... both at idle and while @ speed.

Current rotary compressors are much more efficient.
I'd estimate A/C power draw @idle *5- maybe 10hp on a really hot day..

*You can Google around for exact specs.
Point is rotary style compressors don't draw much. ECU will compensate when A/C cycles for power draw.

Your load problems are from the LP conversion. The ECU is calibrated for gasoline, not LPG.

I'd put in a trouble ticket (or whatever they call it) with the LPG conversion company to get the problem documented with them.

*LPG company may have some ideas, EG way to fool the O2 sensors.

PS: Post back what they say. (In detail)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok this is an old thread, but we have finally found the culprit. It turns out the noise is coming from the AC system, and there is a TSB on the issue.

Over the last 8 months, I went to 2 different dealerships, and two separate occasions each, to ask about this noise. This was my last change to get it in under warranty - I am at 96,100 km's into a 100,000 km warranty.

I finally shot a video of my car in gear in the driveway with the engine making the noises in question. I just went in for an oil change today, and showed them the video.

My invoice says:

Complaint: Clunk/noise heard. Customer to show video

Cause: Confirmed Noise. Requires replacement of A/C Compressor disk and hub/pulley/field coil assembly.

Correction: Parts ordered

They will give me a call when the parts are in, and will need a couple of hours to do the repair.

·
Registered
09 Grand Carnival
62 Posts
Mine has already been replaced under warrenty once before. It has started doing it again, and I have been told that it is a normal noise.

Going in for a service after Christmas, will mention it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts