Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I heard a constant grinding noise out of the left front of my Kia Rondo,
I was sure it was the bearing, I didn't find much in the way of info about replacing this.
My initial steps, raising the car and on Jack Stands.
I am sure if you are attempting this you already know the tire is off,
Removed caliper, caliper mount, rotor, removed axle nut, popped the axle back and did not have any room to work with the bearing, so pickled the lower ball joint, disconnect abs sensor wire bracket, tried to remove axle shaft-no, pickled the tie rod loose, got axle shaft out, still and really at this point I was two strut bolts, and anti lock sensor mount, away from having the spindle in my hand, so took it out.
The bearing was smoked, in the back holding the bearing is a stout snap ring, tap it around gently with a hammer and a screwdriver to break it loose for easier removal *ahem* at this point safety glasses are a good idea. so out she came with a 36mm socket and a hammer, into about 60 odd pieces of cage, bearing and grease-everywhere.
Got a new bearing tried to reinstall with a socked and the old bearing race, damaged the bearing, had to get another one, went to Harbor freight to by a 6 ton press (69.95 two kids a monkey and a peruvian Yakherder to put together) and a bearing race installer kit (39.95) for the bushings to use with the press. special note at this time I found an on the car bearing remover installer for 100 bucks that claims it can be used on the car, but looking back I think that might work well even after the spindle is off.
Installing this bearing without a press or some type of constant pressue by hammering is extremely risky and @#$^&*$ another trip for another 30 dollar bearing.
I managed to get this done but if you are taking this on a hundred dollars up front can make your life a lot easier, as a side note I had to modify that press to get it to work with the spindle, I think i will get that 100 dollar bearing kit for next time. man I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks. My 2009 Rondo is making a noise as if there are two gears meshed together. When the gears are rotating, it sounds like the gears have lost its lubrication, which sounds like a whirling noise but gets intense at 55mpg. My guess, wheel bearing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts