Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been having an ongoing problem with trying to get my kia to start for awhile now. I will start with what i know. The car will crank but not start all the time. I started going down the list of what it could be, I changed the plugs and gapped them. After that did not fix it i changed the timing belt. I checked to see if i am getting fuel and i am. One thing i have noticed is my fuel pump sometimes does not engage when i turn the key(listening for it). However, In an order to bypass the fuel pump i sprayed starting fluid into the intake and the car still did not fire, or even a backfire. This is leading me to believe it may be electrical. I checked the fuel pump relay and switched it with a new one and it still does the same thing. This isn't a problem that happens everytime i start the car so I can't bring it to a mechanic to replicate the problem. I dropped it off at a shop for a week and they couldn't recreate the problem. Once i took the car from them and shut it down, it was happening to me again. Any info on this at all will be very helpful.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Run a scan with an obd scanner. At 99% is the Crankshaft position sensor broken. Easly to find and very easly to change, but before check if is it. It could be also the camshaft position sensor, used to check the position of the camshaft in starting.

In short, you need a diagnosis via obd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Run a scan with an obd scanner. At 99% is the Crankshaft position sensor broken. Easly to find and very easly to change, but before check if is it. It could be also the camshaft position sensor, used to check the position of the camshaft in starting.

In short, you need a diagnosis via obd.
Ran an OBD scan, no codes currently active and no stored codes

·
Registered
101 Posts
Try a simple test. Locate the crankshaft position sensor connector (near the catalytic converter on the right) and after turning on the engine try to shake it and check if the engine shutting off. If yes could be also the connector. You could try to change it anyway, but it could only be a waste of money. The absence of errors doesn't help....

The problem is totally randomic or after some actions, like for example filling gas or other? Because a common problem is the won't start after filling gas, due to fuel vapor purge valve fault.

The fact that when happens no Fire is detected, as you checked, it makes me think about the crankshaft sensor anyway. What version do you have of plug coil? Is the coil on plug or the version with 2 coil pack and coil wires? In the second case you could check if there is spark disconnecting a wire from the coil during cranking when the problem occurs. If no, then the probability that the ckps is breaking is high.

Inviato dal mio Moto Z2 Play utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello
I just dig up this post because I have almost the same problem with almost the same symptoms. But when it happens to me (cranks but not starts) I take off the ETCS plug (engine temperature coolant sensor) and the engine starts. is there a link between this ETCS and the engine start. little detail I no longer hear the sound of the fuel pump (the relay is OK.
Thanks for goodwill guide me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts