Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Mohave
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment I have no rear suspension at all. I hit a small bump in the road and the rear end bounces a mile. All 3 green LEDs (L, N, H) on the dash are lit at the same time. Owner's manual says nothing about the indication. My OBDII does not pick up any error codes. Airspring bags don't appear to be the problem. You would think that if the air pump was bad, there would be an indication code in the OBDII. Could be a problem with the electronic control???? Anyone out there have previous experience with troubleshooting this system? Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Mohave
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Located the air pump for the rear suspension and removed it for a test. It is located in a black plastic box just to the left of the spare tire and behind the driver side rear tire well. Tested it for correct operation and it was good. Pump pumps and sucks depending on the polarity of the power leads. Removed air spring bags and inflated them with air pump. Both bags are probably originals. Rubber has fine cracks where air is leaking through. Will purchase and install new air spring bags.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
971 Posts
Congratulations! You figured out your problem yourself! Plus, you saved a ton of cash in the process! Good job!

·
Registered
2009 Kia Mohave
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Located the air pump for the rear suspension and removed it for a test. It is located in a black plastic box just to the left of the spare tire and behind the driver side rear tire well. Tested it for correct operation and it was good. Pump pumps and sucks depending on the polarity of the power leads. Removed air spring bags and inflated them with air pump. Both bags are probably originals. Rubber has fine cracks where air is leaking through. Will purchase and install new air spring bags.
Ordered new air spring bags on eBay. $160 ea. Seller sent the wrong bags. Had to return them for a refund. Found a pair on eBay from another seller for $200 and they were the correct bags. Installed them. After starting the rig, the green N (mid point for height selection) comes on. The pump starts and runs, but stops before filling the bags and then all three of the position LED's illuminate. It appears as though the controller for the pump is malfunctioning. I have to figure out how the pump is controlled and where that control is. When I took out the pump to test, I didn't see any controller inside the housing so it must be externally controlled, but where and how does it control the inflation/deflation of the bags? There are no pressure sensors on the bags. More investigation needed. I appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Mohave
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After further investigation, I found out that the right air spring bag is inflating, but the left one is not. It was my first assumption that the solenoid operated manifold is not correctly operating. I don't really have the equipment to test it. It has 6 contacts on the receptacle that the plug connects to. I don't have a wiring diagram for it. But after further thought, it may also be a sensor problem. I found the 2 sensors that transmit the location of the left and right axle and turn the air pump on or off depending on the desired position of the operator. Could be that the left sensor is damaged and only sends out 1 position all the time (in this case it would show a high position which would never call for air). The air control manifold is made by MANDO. So are the air spring bags. I could not find anyone on the internet, after searching for hours on Google, that sells a replacement part for the manifold or the sensors. I found the MANDO company on the internet, but they don't sell replacement parts, so I wrote them an email to ask who does. My next step is to remove the sensors and test them. I imagine they are nothing but a switch that is NO or NC and a change in position just reverses the normal state.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Mohave
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am very frustrated by the fact that here in Colombia Kia replacement parts are out of sight expensive. Local Medellin Kia dealers want $900 for the air control solenoid valve that supplies air on demand to the air spring bags for the rear air suspension system. This would have to be ordered from Bogota and take a week or two to arrive in Medellin. For the height sensors, they want $300 each and they have to be ordered from Korea and take over a month or more to arrive. There is a dealer in the UK that has the air control solenoid valve for sale at 217 british pounds or about $238 US and I am waiting for a reply as to availability. An air suspension company called Mando makes the sensors as well as the air spring bags for Kia and other manufacturers. I have tried to find their parts on line without success. My only option was to email them and hope they will reply.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Mohave
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I found a company in Romania that sells the Wabco solenoid air control valve (part # 4725535630) for 135 Euros ( item not in stock - 6 week production time) and I found a company in Hong Kong ( Ali Express ) that sells the height sensors made by Hyundai for $86 each with free shipping ( RH part # SM220-019-02F, LH part # SM220-019-01F. This is a huge savings over paying Kia for the parts here in Colombia. I am glad that we have another car to use while waiting for parts. This is no guarantee that the system will work. There could still be a problem with the system controller. My problem is that I have no way to test the system and isolate the problem. This is trial and error replacement. I realize that the components are 10 years old so I'll replace them. The correct factory manual that they finally sent to me is so large (14.5 gigabytes) that my internet connection here in Colombia is not fast enough to download it. I will have to have the company send a download link to my nephew who has a faster connection so he can download it for me.

·
Registered
2009, Mohave V6, 3.8 Lambda, AT, EX
3 Posts
I found a company in Romania that sells the Wabco solenoid air control valve (part # 4725535630) for 135 Euros ( item not in stock - 6 week production time) and I found a company in Hong Kong ( Ali Express ) that sells the height sensors made by Hyundai for $86 each with free shipping ( RH part # SM220-019-02F, LH part # SM220-019-01F. This is a huge savings over paying Kia for the parts here in Colombia. I am glad that we have another car to use while waiting for parts. This is no guarantee that the system will work. There could still be a problem with the system controller. My problem is that I have no way to test the system and isolate the problem. This is trial and error replacement. I rationalize that the components are 10 years old so I'll replace them. The correct factory manual that they finally sent to me is so large (14.5 gigabytes) that my internet connection here in Colombia is sufficient enough to download it. I will have to have the company send a download link to my nephew who has a faster connection so he can download it for me.
Hello, my man...you travell a long way! But the things are so simple! Do you have the same problemq yet? If YES, tell me wheather do you have OBD code "C1620"? First, and the most important is to check air springs for leakege...if yes - repair it. Here in Bulgaria we do this for about 250USD/pair. After that you`ll have to reset the controller! After that - everything is simple - the car do it itself, after a couple of minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts