Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been ignoring the airbag lights that stays ON on our dashboard for 2009 carens. I've been waiting for my money to come so I can send the car to service center. I was wondering if anyone had this issue.

All of a sudden airbag ligths stays ON, I do not know why it happen suddenly. Sadly ours is not covered anymore under warranty anymore. I know service centre will bite us a lot.

I've been also looking around the net to find out if this can be easily fix , I found that fiddling the wires under neath the driver seat can turn sometimes fix it because most of this are just loose wire connections. I did and tried re-seating some wire connections on my carens but this did not help.

However, since I did the fiddling of the wires, I've noticed that when I turn on the carens, airbag lights will be ON, turns OFF for a few seconds and turn and stays ON.

I am just afraid that while driving it, the airbag might disengage or the scariest this is that if an accident happens god forbid the airbag will not disengage. At the moment we are avoiding on driving the carens.

Wanted to know if others has this problem?

Phil

·
Registered
2007 KIA Carens 2.0 CRDi, 7 seat, 200.000 km / 2017 KIA Niro HEV, 8.000 km
43 Posts
Yes, it's probably clock spring, I have the same issue on my 2007 Carens. I ordered a new one from Korea (eBay) for around $60 and will take it next week to garage for them to install it and reset the code. BTW, airbag will not engage if that light is on - the system automatically disables all airbags in the car, I asked. Then, after a month, checked too empirically - my wife ran the Carens at the back of a Volvo and airbags didn't deploy even than. Nobody got hurt so it's OK but shows that sometimes you really need to listen what the little light is telling you :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info @frulex.. Indeed it was the clockspring.. Been more than a week no more airbag lights.. Was worried a lot as this was a safety concern, can't imagine if the car got an accident and the airbag might not deploy.

Sent using TAPaTALK

·
Registered
43 Posts
New clockspring installed yesterday at Kia service, 45$ for installation + 60$ I paid before for the part on eBay...

Sent from my Jiayu S3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clock spring was a recall
Thats what i was thinking but i have checked with kia's service personel and the recall was only for some break lights or so which they (kia) had replaced on our carens couple of years back.

Do you know what model are eligible for the clock spring recalls?

Sent using TAPaTALK

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Carens is 2007 but didn't get any notice. Anyway, this link above is for USA as far as I can see. In Europe we had a recall about some ABS/brake insulation a few years ago (I got noticed about that) so I presume they would notice me about this too...

Sent from my Jiayu S3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Rondo EX 5 Seat Auto 2.4l 4i
15 Posts
My 2009 is in for this today. I really wonder why this wasn't extended to the 2009 models as I see many reported cases of it still happening. Dealer didn't seem willing (as expected) to make any attempt to refer to the recall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts