Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a safe reliable car for my wife and daughters.

I have never driven a Borrego, but I have owned several Hyundai's, including a Genesis V6, and I like the fact that the Borrego has the same engine.

So the big question is how does everyone feel about a Borrego with 119,000 miles on it?

The price is around $12k, and if u are shopping in that price range, safe and reliable are not the easiest to find, so I was a little excited to find this one.

So is 119k a lot for a Borrego? It certainly is for many other brands. Do you think it can handle another 50k without a problem? Or are gremlins going to start to creep in, or even major failure?

How does everyone feel about a truck like that, would you have faith in it?

If the truck had 75k miles on it, I don't think I would even ask, but I get nervous over 100k.

I can only guess that someone drove it on some serious highway miles, around 40k a year, otherwise the truck looks good. (I have not actually driven it yet, if no one scares me off, I will take a 2 hour drive to go see it).

Thanks for your answers!:p

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
I don't think 119K is too much.... if... and it's a big if.... if the previous owner took care of the car. This is where maintenance records can be important. Is the records showing that the care was taken care of? If not, is the owner knowledgeable about it's service history? At 100K, you should have, at least, a regular history of oil and filter change, engine coolant change once, regular history of rear diff oil change... plus look at the high wear items like brakes and tires. At 100k, you should be on your second set of spark plugs and wires. Has the battery ever been changed? Finally, the timing belt and water pump. If all original, these will be expenses to you in the near future. Consider this when negotiating price. I'm at 85K and I'd say that the Borrego has been reliable transportation for me... but I also tend to be meticulous when it comes to upkeep. A lot of these maintenance items are coming due for me know. I plan on keeping the Borrego, so it's any easy decision for me to put in the upkeep money... but this is where a lot of people may try to sell the car to avoid these costs. So basically,

1. If the owner is up to date on maintenance and no big items are due, it sounds good (but try to get best deal you can).
2. If they did the normal maintenance like oil, tires, etc., but not some of the other bigger ticket items aren't done, negotiate a better price because you are going to have to pay it.

In either of the two cases above, you will probably enjoy you Borrego for quite a few more miles. Hard to say for sure because there is no prior history for Borrego, but I'm basing on my first 85K miles (and that is what I'm betting on).

3. If the owner is clueless or has bad maintenance history, walk away. You are asking for problems.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
I agree with..

I agree with what smooak noted. I would add that you get the truck inspected by a reliable mechanic prior to buying. In addition to records, they can look for signs of wear and tear on the mechanical systems of the truck. I would also try to get a better price. I only have 42k on my Borrego, and KBB says it is worth about 18,300 on trade in and 21,200 private party sale. But I also have 2 years and 18k miles left on the bumper to bumper warranty, and 58k miles and 7 years left on the powertrain. By the way, KBB says that borrego is worth 14,500 private party sale assuming it is 4wd and has all the available options (EX, moonroof, leather, nav, rear air, infinity sound).

It is good to see that some Borregos have lasted that long and I am interested in what else you find out about this truck and its longevity. Good luck.

I am looking for a safe reliable car for my wife and daughters.

I have never driven a Borrego, but I have owned several Hyundai's, including a Genesis V6, and I like the fact that the Borrego has the same engine.

So the big question is how does everyone feel about a Borrego with 119,000 miles on it?

The price is around $12k, and if u are shopping in that price range, safe and reliable are not the easiest to find, so I was a little excited to find this one.

So is 119k a lot for a Borrego? It certainly is for many other brands. Do you think it can handle another 50k without a problem? Or are gremlins going to start to creep in, or even major failure?

How does everyone feel about a truck like that, would you have faith in it?

If the truck had 75k miles on it, I don't think I would even ask, but I get nervous over 100k.

I can only guess that someone drove it on some serious highway miles, around 40k a year, otherwise the truck looks good. (I have not actually driven it yet, if no one scares me off, I will take a 2 hour drive to go see it).

Thanks for your answers!:p

·
Registered
57 Posts
The miles wouldn't worry me but the price would

Last winter we bought our Borrego with 13K for $18500. With 119K for miles I would think it should be in the $8K to $9K range.

Steve69

1 - 4 of 4 Posts