Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2009 Kia Sportage LX 2.7L V6

I am in the process of replacing all of the pads and rotors on my Sportage. I am having a problem with passenger front.

The lower caliper guide (the part with the boot) does not move in and out like the others do. It also does not spin like the others also. I have found the parts needed to replace it, but I'm not sure how to get the guide out.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
2009 Kia Sportage LX 2.7L V6

I am in the process of replacing all of the pads and rotors on my Sportage. I am having a problem with passenger front.

The lower caliper guide (the part with the boot) does not move in and out like the others do. It also does not spin like the others also. I have found the parts needed to replace it, but I'm not sure how to get the guide out.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :cool:
Sometimes placing the guide or caliper bracket in a vise and forcing it to move works. Other times a little heat helps. Either way, you're going to have to apply some force to get it out. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered Parts

I have the new parts on order for tomorrow. A guide pin kit and boot kit. How is the guide pin actually held in the bracket? There are no threads?

Thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Thanks Pacosworld for your great information. I put the bracket in a vice. Soaked it in penetrating oil. Heated the pin. I got it to turn back and forth. Finally I was able to pull the pin out. I cleaned everything up. I replaced both pins and both boots and greased everything up with caliper grease.

Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra, 2009 Pontiac Vibe, 2009 Kia Rondo (son's car)
3 Posts
Defury:

Read your post. I am doing the same and had the same problem (stuck guide rod.) I also got mine free and have greased everything up.

However, I noticed that one of the rods has rubber "washer" (almost like a rubber piston ring) at the bottom of the rod, the other does not. I checked the other wheel and it also has one with the washer and one without. I think the one with the washer was at the rear of the caliper.

Did you notice the same thing? Which one went where?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rubber washer goes on lower guide pins. With age, they often swell and seize the pin, then the caliper binds and ruins good pads and rotors. If they don't move free, remove and discard. They are to dampen vibration and prevent noise when changing direction. Mine have been off for 30k with no issues (noise) and guide pins move great. I either use permatex green caliper grease on the pins, or Honda (Shin-Etsu) Pure Silicone grease. That stuff is amazing. Never hardens, never dries out. I am extremely anal on brake noise, caliper cleanliness, etc. I pull all my pads and clean the clips and relube at every oil change/tire rotation. I know it's common response to think "they are there for a reason" and they are (noise), but there is no concern removing the rubber washers, especially when the worn out ones can lead to excessive brake wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts